Commuting Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
T

@fossyant might ride a subway? (Or it might be another regular forum user)

OMG - I await the ribbing from @potsy - I've had a load of mickey about the 'tougher 23mm Durano Plus' I've fitted. I am afraid I ride a fixed gear road bike to and from work.

PS the subways are great bikes for the money. Always make sure you lock them up well as they are popular with thieves !

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm, who is it who commutes on a subway then? Bike, rather than sandwich or underground train system :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The budget of the OP is deffo subway - he will love one. I am yet to hear anything bad about them. My two kids have Carrera MTB's and they are great for the money - both SRAM equipped, and my son has done red and black runs on his !!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A Subway is a very good choice. I had a couple. First got nicked after only 2 weeks from the station. (As Fossy said, they are popular with thieves), the other I lent to my brother who did L2B with it. He's refusing to give it back.

vickster

Legendary Member
The budget of the OP is deffo subway - he will love one. I am yet to hear anything bad about them. My two kids have Carrera MTB's and they are great for the money - both SRAM equipped, and my son has done red and black runs on his !!
Perhaps you can point the OP in the direction of a slicker puncture proof tyre in the right size as Google has failed me!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hey guys thanks for the posts

I used to walk 6 miles home from clydebank after working my old job, the 14 miles is fairly flat as far as i know, plus i work IT support and don't do much at night but watch netflix :biggrin:

My route is
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/G...c6992346b51!2m2!1d-4.5513185!2d55.9403085!3e1
Hi again!
You are getting excellent advice about the bike and tyres so I won't add to those.
BUT your route, at night time?
You really need to budget for a very good front light, again @fossyant is the person to ask. Don't ask @Mad Doug Biker (another local) because he does not believe in lights :laugh:
The route you want to do has unlit parts very near the water.
As you're coming back from work after midnight you might want to consider taking Dumbarton road instead of the path.
It is a very busy road during the day, but maybe at night time it is safe to ride, never tried myself, I know @Mad Doug Biker has.
If you decide to ride the main road you still need to buy lights to be seen, they will not cost as much though as good "to see" lights.
Marathon tyres hardly get punctures, however you do need to keep them at the appropriate pressure (written on the side wall). For this you need to invest in a track pump - can be had for about 20/25 pounds and check your tyres for air every 3/4 days.
Check for embedded bits of glass or grit every day before setting out, the flints before Bowling have caused many a puncture.
There are plenty of train stations on your commute, however they will all be closed after midnight ^_^ Carry some money and a mobile, a black cab will take you and your bike home if you have a mechanical.
Changing a flat Marathon's inner tube in the dark and cold is hard, they are rigid tyres.
Try once at home, if you can't manage in a reasonable amount of time, forget it on the road. Do carry a multi tool, in case bolts come lose - if you get Halfords to assemble the bike this is a certainty :laugh:
You also need mudguards and some clothing suitable for the weather and shoes for the
muddy path.
Happy commuting :hello:

vickster

Legendary Member
A couple of options from Schwalbe.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour.html
I don't know if this would fit? http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-MARATHON-PLUS-MTB-650B/1793

Halfords site quotes a tyre size of 27.5x1.95 whatever those numbers mean?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't know if this would fit? http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-MARATHON-PLUS-MTB-650B/1793

Halfords site quotes a tyre size of 27.5x1.95 whatever those numbers mean?

Your linked tyre should fit and be ideal for the OP.

Halfords presumably mean the tyre is 27.5' - same as 650b - and 1.95" inches wide.

That sounds likely, although it being Halfords, I would want to see the bike and read the size off the tyre wall before ordering a replacement.

All I would say is the tyres on the pic look to be mountain bike style with a fairly large air chamber.

Putting relatively narrow Marathon Pluses on will give a much harsher ride, although the OP may not be bothered about that.

OP
OP
S

Scott1sh

Your linked tyre should fit and be ideal for the OP.

Halfords presumably mean the tyre is 27.5' - same as 650b - and 1.95" inches wide.

That sounds likely, although it being Halfords, I would want to see the bike and read the size off the tyre wall before ordering a replacement.

All I would say is the tyres on the pic look to be mountain bike style with a fairly large air chamber.

Putting relatively narrow Marathon Pluses on will give a much harsher ride, although the OP may not be bothered about that.

Define much harsher? :P

To be honest as long as it gets me home without feeling rough then im happy :biggrin:

Plus my shift pattern is 7 nights every 5 weeks so not too bad.

OP
OP
S

Scott1sh

Bit of an update, i spoke to my HR Manager and was told we do a cycle to work scheme.

It is with http://www.evanscycles.com/ and max we can spnd is £750, so say £500-£600 for the bike and £150 for accessories.

Trouble is i havent even heard of some of these brand of bikes so any help getting a bike in the same lines of the carrera subway would be magic.

P.S I still plan on getting marathon plus tyres at the appropriate size.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you really want to spend that much? If buying on the never never, you'll want to make sure it's insured and properly locked up so allow for that in your monthly budget

Evans house brand pinnacle are decent, as are ridgeback, trek, cannondale etc

Does your HR manager know you watch Netflix all night? :biggrin:

Top Bottom