Commuting by bike from Kensal town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marlene

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and came here to find advice. I'm from Germany (where cycling is overall really safe) and am moving to London this month. I'm still looking for a flat, but, depending on where I'll end up, I might cycle to uni. I'm just worried how safe cycling in London will be. I am also a bit worried about cycling on the left side of the road but I don't think adapting to that should be much of a problem.

My friends and I have a viewing for a flat in Kensal town tomorrow. From there, according to Google maps, it would be a 32 minute bike ride or 43 minutes by public transport to LSE, which is where I'll be doing a masters. To me that looks like a no-brainer - if the route is safe. I don't know how accurate the estimation of 32 minutes is, as I wonder if there are cycle lanes and if there even would be space to overtake cars in a traffic jam. The route would take me, amongst others, along A5, A5204, and A40.

Does anyone here have experience with cycling on these roads, or that area more generally? Do you have any advice for me?

Thank you and best wishes,
Marlene :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
The TFL website offers cycling routes based on fast/medium/easy depending on the types of roads
eg Kensal Town to one of the LSE campuses - 32 mins is likely the fast main road option (where you are likely sharing roads with traffic, including buses and taxis in bus lanes (buses are a pain as they keep stopping!!)

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=cycling&InputFrom=Kensal+Town,+London,+UK&From=Kensal+Town,+London,+UK&FromId=51.527671813964844,-0.21013900637626648&InputTo=London+School+of+Economics+and+Political+Science,+Houghton+Street,+London,+UK&To=London+School+of+Economics+and+Political+Science,+Houghton+Street,+London,+UK&ToId=51.51443862915039,-0.11645130068063736&CyclePreference=AllTheWay&JourneyPreference=leasttime&Via=

There's a website called cycle streets too I think.

Bike theft is rife in London so a folder you can keep with you (or take on tube if you don't fancy cycling one day) can be good. Otherwise a ratty but technically healthy bike and a couple of big locks!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's not as bad as it's made out to be. If you're an experienced and confident rider. Don't succumb to the panic mentality, hold your space and be aware. Enjoy the lunacy of CC.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
:welcome: to CC Marlene.

Cycle lanes most of the way I believe. Traffic is so slow in London I see that the journey time is the same for cars or bikes.
Give our regards to Boycie. Sorry my poor attempt at humour, you see we have a popular TV comedy called Only Fools and Horses which you should investigate for the strange British sense of humour. Boycie and Marlene are central characters.
Good luck with the commute.

OP
OP
M

Marlene

Thank you everyone for your advice and warm welcome :smile:
The TFL website offers cycling routes based on fast/medium/easy depending on the types of roads

There's a website called cycle streets too I think.

These are great resources! I do feel more prepared now. But getting a strong lock sounds a good idea.

Give our regards to Boycie

I will if I pass him on my bike ;) I have heard of that show

Top Bottom