Commuting & Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
New cycle computer has a cadence function, so I'd like to start using it.

Anyone got advice as to what cadence a commuting 40 year old bloke ought to be using to get fitter?

I'll be starting from scratch. Not been on the bike since Xmas (upper airways infection) and still not quite ready to jump on it.

domtyler

Über Member
90rpm of course! ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I read a recent article that said the most effective cadence for a person was in fact the rate he felt was most natural.
Many from C+ might recall that I'm a Luddite when it comes to cadence, I Grind,therefore I am... I don't buy this high rpm cadence is for everyone stuff...so was heartened to read the above research...just can't recall right now WHERE I read it.

Go with what feels good, or be prepared to experiment with an open mind.

Tynan

Veteran
can't agree, I used to think I had slow legs, ground around in big gears, went fast and stuff and thought that was me

made a concious effort to spin faster after reading about it on here and I'm a convert, the pro point are all true imho

I used to grind when I was younger and had proper knees but last year I made a bit of an effort to bring my cadence up. I have to say it's decreased the fatigue I felt in my legs, improved my hill climbing and doesn't leave my knees sore: Again I seem to have ended up at about 90rpm on the flat, it varies on hills.

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
I read a recent article that said the most effective cadence for a person was in fact the rate he felt was most natural.

I agree, it would drive me for one crazy thinking about that too much.

I'd concentrate more on doing some higher effort intervals which is the best way to get fitter on a short distance.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tynan said:
can't agree, I used to think I had slow legs, ground around in big gears, went fast and stuff and thought that was me

made a concious effort to spin faster after reading about it on here and I'm a convert, the pro point are all true imho

I tried the spinning thing for nearly 2 seasons on our club nights and could never keep-up with sudden accelerations in the bunch, spinning just made me slow and breathless...until I got angry, threw away the spinning rule-book and went back to my higher geared lower cadence 'old-style' method and started to go like an express-train (well relatively ;)) again.
My point is not to stick with it slavishly, try it, but if it doesn't seem to work for you, do your own thing.
Sorry to be a heretic.

domtyler

Über Member
Abitrary said:
I agree, it would drive me for one crazy thinking about that too much.

I'd concentrate more on doing some higher effort intervals which is the best way to get fitter on a short distance.

Remember that time you made it up to 35rpm? ;)

I am a high cadence dedicate. I cruise comfortably at around 100-110rpm, and at this cadence I always have enough reserve to accelerate suddenly. I am also a fan of using the gears, so change frequently to keep my cadence around the 100 mark.

Find what works best for you, but if you are on a low cadence, seriously think about trying high cadence for the sake of your knees.

Top Bottom