Commuting gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

At the end of August I want to start to commute to college. 4 miles there and 4 miles back.

I have never commuted before and bit confused what to wear. I don't fancy kicking about college in cycling gear all day and there are no showers so the option of changing is not available.

I also live in Glasgow where it rains all the time.

What are my options clothes wise as don't fancy either option of sitting about in wet clothes or sitting on my own as I have been sweating and smelling by 10 o'clock

So just looking for hints and tips from what you do/wear

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Four miles isn't so far. Just take the ride easy - there's no need to try to beat your personal best time when all you're doing is getting to work. Don't over-dress so you stay cool, and if you get warm, pause and strip off a layer.

When I was a student, I got myself a cheapo ex-rental bike to get to college. It didn't matter if it was stolen (it never was - it was a singularly unattractive machine), and its weight and unexciting ride encouraged me not to push the pace. It was a sit-up-and-take-it-easy sort of bike. When I'd finished, I sold it for slightly more than I paid for it.

If you're a sweaty type, shower in the morning before you set off - it's the stale sweat that really smells, not the fresh. You can take a packet of baby wipes or something and give your sweaty bits a quick swab down in the loo on arrival if you're really worried about being smelly.

Even in Glasgow, it doesn't rain ALL the time (just most of it). A little drizzle won't hurt you, and you need hardly do anything to stay dry - anything you put on to keep the rain off tends to make you damp inside it from either your own sweat, or condensation forming on its inside. But if you're lightly dressed, you'll dry out quickly, and if you're moving you shouldn't get too cold.

For heavy winter rain, you can either do as many commuters do and take the bus, or buy some decent waterproofs. I like Buffalo gear - it's not waterproof, but it keeps your skin dry and keeps you warm and that's what matters.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Afterthought: rain is rarely as bad, once you're out in it, as it appears through glass.

There's something about the sight and sound of rain falling on a windscreen or window that makes it look ten times worse than it really is. Often, you think it's p*ssing down, but once you're outside, you hardly notice the rain at all.

Even in Glasgow (I was there a month or so ago. I cycled back and forth to a conference. No waterproofs. And, yes, it rained).

BarryBonkers

Regular
Even in Glasgow, it doesn't rain ALL the time (just most of it). A little drizzle won't hurt you, and you need hardly do anything to stay dry - anything you put on to keep the rain off tends to make you damp inside it from either your own sweat, or condensation forming on its inside. But if you're lightly dressed, you'll dry out quickly, and if you're moving you shouldn't get too cold.

For heavy winter rain, you can either do as many commuters do and take the bus, or buy some decent waterproofs. I like Buffalo gear - it's not waterproof, but it keeps your skin dry and keeps you warm and that's what matters.

Uncle Phil is right. Take a waterproof cape for when you have to stand around in the rain, but for actual riding something almost waterproof is the most comfortable approach. The Buffalo gear, fleece with a Pertex cover, is excellent, especially when it gets chilly.

Top Bottom