Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My light arrived today! Probably not going to be used until January, since I need to put a new rear wheel on the bike and I finish work on Friday for three weeks - be getting the bus in for the last two days as I don't trust the wheel enough!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ok the lense diffuser arrived today but its a wee bit of a loose fit for anyone else thinking of ordering shall have to think of some way of fixing that! Unfortunately all the o rings at work are nowhere near that size!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ok silicon sealant has done the trick now how are folks finding the charging ? First charge after a few hours the LED went green, second charge it seems to be taking a while to go from red to green :thumbsdown:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TWIN-CR...ike_Lights&hash=item4ab1a8121f#ht_5963wt_1270

Those have arrived, seem very bright on just supermarket AAAs, have ordered some 1100ma AAA rechargeables but I also have an eye on getting some 18650's in the long run and the AAAs will do well swapped into my rears.

Not had them out on the road yet, but looking forward to it!

Be aware that the output quoted will be under best conditions with 18650 batteries, with AAA your not going to get that , even with 1100 ones its going to be more like 110 lumens max, i am sure i posted about this on another thread but my serch fu is weak atm.

mumbo jumbo

Blimey. I wish I'd read this thread before. I've been looking out for a new front light and was nearly settled on the Exposure Strada Mk3. I like that (in no particular order):
  • it's British
  • it's beam pattern is road-cycling specific
  • it's wireless - there's no battery pack to strap on
  • it has a 2 year warranty
  • it gets great reviews
  • it will complement the Joystick which will move from the handlebars to my helmet (in flash mode)
But the best I can get it for is £215!!! That's many times more than these eastern imports you're all getting. So - how are they faring? What's the reliability like (that is, if they've arrived yet)?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had my MS for over 12 months and it is still working at 100 % , even the battery life has not diminished .

niggle

Had my MS for over 12 months and it is still working at 100 % , even the battery life has not diminished .
Ditto for my front Magicshine, but the rear light's 3W led blew recently just leaving the surrounding ring of LEDs (which is actually a perfectly adequate light with good side visibility and no burnt retinas for following drivers any more). It blew after I mounted it upside down with the cable entry at the top, which was quite a predictable result really :blush: Worth getting in there with some RTV sealant even when mounted the right way up I think. I do wish the switching functioned better though, it would be so handy to be able just to toggle between high and low without the other functions including switching off.

Blimey. I wish I'd read this thread before. I've been looking out for a new front light and was nearly settled on the Exposure Strada Mk3. I like that (in no particular order):
  • it's British
  • it's beam pattern is road-cycling specific
  • it's wireless - there's no battery pack to strap on
  • it has a 2 year warranty
  • it gets great reviews
  • it will complement the Joystick which will move from the handlebars to my helmet (in flash mode)
But the best I can get it for is £215!!! That's many times more than these eastern imports you're all getting. So - how are they faring? What's the reliability like (that is, if they've arrived yet)?

Try Ribble, £179 and yes it is the best powerful road specific light out there if you have the dosh.

Top Bottom