Commuting on a recumbent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
After converting to a recumbent about 3 months ago, I just thought I'd post a vid of my whole commute home from work on the Bacchetta Strada. 12 miles in 34 minutes means an average of just over 21 mph.....not bad considering stop/starts at traffic lights. This is around 5 mins quicker than I ever managed on the road bike, and with a heck of a lot less effort. Once you get used to standing starts, and suss out the handling a 'bent is every bit as stable as a road bike. Even filtering (at 30m:30s) is no prob!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td0ClfHq_7E&feature=relmfu

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
watching at the moment.
Now wonder you have such a good average with lovely stretches of non traffic lighted roads.... you lucky bugger.

Some lovely fast turns at the 10 minute mark

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Ahhhh, the bend at 10:30 was where I came of at a few weeks ago http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-first-major-off-ouchie.95761/

At the time I thought I'd been doing just over 20mph, but now I go around it a lot slower and I'm still touching 25mph, so I was actually doing around 30 when I came off.

Yes I do have some nice A roads, but I also go through Donny TC, and have quite a few red lights on the last 3rd of the ride. I do boot it on the way home, for a proper work out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, nice commute that. 12 miles is my door to door commute.
But in that time I have about 50 sets of traffic lights meaning the fastest average I have manages is just over 17.

Have yet to ride the commute on my bent yet though.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i've only ever seen 2 bents commuting in London - not sure London is bent friendly in the rush hour; it is too stop start and too many large vehicles in a small space. Maybe Donny is a bit easier to negotiate.

Do you feel more vunerable on the bent?

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Do you feel more vunerable on the bent?

Absolutely not. This vid is a 'typical' commute, and you'll notice just how much space the (100s?) of cars give me as they pass. I've only had one near pass (by a lorry in the fog) in the 1,000 miles I've done on the bent. This compares to 2 or 3 close passes per week I used to get on the road bike. This may be down in part to the faster speeds I do on the 'bent as I can usually get close to 30 in most 30 zones, but I think the main reason is that you just stand out far more when you're riding something different. Aside from the odd shakey start the first few times I rode, I genuinely feel far safer on this bike, even in heavy traffic. Mine is a high racer, and I'm sure if I was on a low racer I'd have to change my riding style due to the restricted view, but the 'being seen' factor would still make such machines safer than 'regular' bikes, imho.

I'm a complete convert, and it's very rare now that I ride my road bike or hybrid.....and when I save enough pennies for an ICE Vortex, well the normal bikes will probably be going on ebay.

LeeW

That looks a nice commute.
I did a vid of mine a few years ago, quality not great as I used an old camera. I speeded it up 8x. The real time of the 12 miles in the vid is about 30 mins.

Note how almost all cars move totally into other lane on the dualed section.

starhawk

I use the computer on my desk for surfing, so no blocking experienced!^_^
Those commuting videos looks scary, my commute starts on a cycle road being interrupted for one 100 meters city traffic, then cycle road again the last piece is on a queit road with hardly any traffic at all. Going home there is no city traffic as the other side of that road has cycle lanes.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

That looks a nice commute.
I did a vid of mine a few years ago, quality not great as I used an old camera. I speeded it up 8x. The real time of the 12 miles in the vid is about 30 mins.

Note how almost all cars move totally into other lane on the dualed section.

Excellent. I like the final bit when you get off the dual carriageway, and you keep with the car in front.

Top Bottom