My first major 'off'. Ouchie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Oh dear. I had a rather nasty fall on the way home tonight.

It was on a the 2nd bend of an s-bend, and basically I was just going too fast. The front wheel went from under me and before I knew it my left thigh had taken a pretty heavy blow. Amazingly, I don't think I slid onto the other side of the road, though the seconds after the fall are a bit blurred. I got up, checked for traffic (one car behind me had stopped) and then I retrieved the bike and took it to the side of the road. The car didn't move so I had time to limp back and pick up my cycle computer.

My thigh was hurting pretty bad....a bit like getting the wind knocked out of me, but inside my leg???....a really weird feeling. I had a minute, walked up and down a few yards and was pretty sure I hadn't broken anything (other than my skin).

The damage? Well apart from the thigh and my bib tights, there wasn't actually much damage to the bike. Amazingly, the bell and gear cable took the brunt of it and there's not a scratch on the frame. As I'd fallen on the left side, the chainring/chain/derailler etc were not in the 'firing line'. Because of the cable damage I was stuck on the big chain ring, but I managed to adjust it so it fell onto the middle. The wheels seemed true, the brakes worked fine so I cautiously started to ride home. Unfortunately I'd only done 3 miles when I fell off, so I had just over 8 miles to go! It wasn't too bad when I got going so I made it home without too much discomfort.

The reason for my fall? Well I always feel a little bit pressured on this bit of road because it's not safe for drivers to overtake, so I take primary, pedal like buggery and try to maintain speed so I don't have to drop a gear on the uphill after the bend. I was on my recumbent bike (Baccetta Strada) and I guess I was doing a touch over 20 mph when I came off. At least I didn't have as far to fall and I guess it's better to fall less than 2 feet from this bike than the 3 feet it would have been if I'd come off the road bike. Plus I didn't bang any part of my upper body/elbow arm etc which I think I would've done on the road bike. Anyway, tomorrow I'll be off to my local bike shop for a new cable, and I'll give the bike a thorough daylight check. I sense a bloomin' big bruise appearing over the next few days!

I've learned my lesson today...slow down more for the bends. Bloomin' gatorskins! I bet my Marathon plus tyres would've not lost traction. Ahhhh, the Baccetta Strada, excellent machine, stupid 650 wheels so you can't get decent rubber. I think I'll be looking to change to 26 inch wheels in the not too distant!

Oh you wanted some pics? Happy to oblige!

Honey, I'm home.
ouchie.jpg

It looks bad.
ouchie2-1.jpg

All cleaned up.
ouchie3.jpg

Bike damage.
damage.jpg

Oh no, my £2.99 bell, RUINED!
damage2.jpg

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
That looks sore. Hope it's better soon

Bman

Guru
Ouch! Glad your relatively ok mate.

If experiance is anything to go by, you'll probably change your mind about going to the LBS tomorrow. You'll be hurting in the morning!

dawesome

Warning would have been good mate, that made me cross my legs. GWS.

I had an off on a fast downhill and went down hard on my hip, I felt the same as you, not winded but a bit stunned. The driver of a Navara behind me was a star and stopped and asked if I was ok. I croaked "Yes" and limped to the side of the road. Knocks the sense out of you. Plus your heart's going mad so you don't even know if you're hurt.

Aiden_23

I have had bigger scratches playing football:blush:, only kidden that looks like one of those ones that will hurt in the shower for a week good to see your are okay though and seems like it won't happen again.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Ouch.....I hope you mend soon.
Upright vs bent for front wheel slip? I know which I would choose...

Wow, you're fast with the videos. That's exactly what happened to me (though on the left side). Yes it look like here is another reason to 'go recumbent'. And what a brave move to intentionally fall off 2 different bikes on the same corner to demonstrate it!:wahhey: Is it you in the vid???

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Wow, you're fast with the videos. That's exactly what happened to me (though on the left side). Yes it look like here is another reason to 'go recumbent'. And what a brave move to intentionally fall off 2 different bikes on the same corner to demonstrate it!:wahhey: Is it you in the vid???
I'm on the upright, arallsopp on the recumbent. He did it about 3 weeks before me.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm on the upright, arallsopp on the recumbent. He did it about 3 weeks before me.
How does arallsopp's bent compare to a big wheeled Bacchetta in seat height? On my Giro I'm not actually that much lower than on a DF, so if I keep my hands on the 'bars then there's not much difference.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Oh, btw does anyone know the best way to repair lycra leggings? I was thinking of trying to stitch them. I think a patch would be better, but I'd have to patch with lycra....which I don't have. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy a new pair, but I'd rather save 50 quid if a rapair is possible.

Top Bottom