My first major 'off'. Ouchie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Their for the grace of someone's god go all of us cyclists, hope you recover fast and the bike gets fixed soon.

I had an unexpected front wheel twitch myself this morning, not going fast round a bend, certainly woke me up. Went back to have a look at the road but could not see any reason for it, apart from the road being slightly damp, no more than usual.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Good thing you have that cleaned up. Near straford fell on my folding bike. Came home and a Purple very sore bruise came up. A week later. Proof and it went. phew. Nasty stuff you have there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
How are you feeling this morning BP? Did you have any duoderm/tegaderm at home to patch that up with, or the old standby of sticking some clingfilm over it? Those moist repair sticky sheets like duoderm are the bomb for road rash, as you don't get scabs and they protect it, so most of the pain whilst is avoided.

Ouchie indeed. Wisdom after the event is good :wacko: but what sort of pressures are you running BP, I borrowed a gatorskin (front) at the start of Jan 1500 miles ago and found it despite reports to be a very grippy tyre, especially last night when my non gator rear slid out on a roundabout and front gator held true. I usually pump to 95psi (front) and only top up once a week if roads are clean of ice/snow but then again I ride an upright and dynamics will be different. Take care!

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
How are you feeling this morning BP? Did you have any duoderm/tegaderm at home to patch that up with, or the old standby of sticking some clingfilm over it? Those moist repair sticky sheets like duoderm are the bomb for road rash, as you don't get scabs and they protect it, so most of the pain whilst is avoided.

Not bad thanks. In fact I've been out on the bike to try and source the new shifter. Unfortunately Don valley cycles only had 2:1 shifters, and I need 1:1. Hats off to them for giving me some freebie plastic grommety thingy-mebobs. (the bits that guide the bare inner cable through the frame cable mount thingies. I'm sure there's a name for them. Answers on a post card please. I didn't think about cling film.....I'm just wearing baggy shorts today. Does cling film help it to heal then?

Ouchie indeed. Wisdom after the event is good :wacko: but what sort of pressures are you running BP, I borrowed a gatorskin (front) at the start of Jan 1500 miles ago and found it despite reports to be a very grippy tyre, especially last night when my non gator rear slid out on a roundabout and front gator held true. I usually pump to 95psi (front) and only top up once a week if roads are clean of ice/snow but then again I ride an upright and dynamics will be different. Take care!

I put the full monty 120psi in and check once a week. They've never dropped below 100psi. I've just checked them now and they're 105 and 110 respectively. T'was the muddy/gritty road surface that did for me. (And I was going too fast. Me an idiot!)

I am not sure what I am more shocked about, the fact you fell off and are generally ok or the fact you have a bell. :smile:

I have a ting ting bell for friendly warnings and an Airzound 3 for when the need arises. Besides, my bell tells me 'It's the law'.......I'm not sure about that?
damage2.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
the bits that guide the bare inner cable through the frame cable mount thingies. I'm sure there's a name for them.
Cable ferrules - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23401 & http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23402 ?

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Thanks for that. Now what about the loose plastic sleeve that you use between the frame mounts?

I've just ordered an X9 shifter (it's half price so I thought I may as well upgrade from the X7s), a goodridge gear cable kit (so I'll have all the bits, and plenty of spares) and an 'Xtools cable cutter pro' (my side cutters made a right hash of the job last time I attempted to cut outers.) Eeeeeh, I've spent some wedge with chainreactioncycles over the last 2 years. It's not 'till you look back at your order history that you realise that cycling to work has more overheads than you'd think!

And why aren't you at work on a Friday? :ohmy:

GrasB

Veteran
Thanks for that. Now what about the loose plastic sleeve that you use between the frame mounts?
Extruded PTFE hose 2.5mm IIRC, more likely to be found in your local hardware store than a bike shop, take a bit of old cable down & see what fits bests. I like the Goodridge cable finishing kit for ferrules & cable ends.

And why aren't you at work on a Friday? :ohmy:
I am at work but the way my job works I spend a fair bit of time waiting for things to finish or break so I can fix them.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

The wait is over. My bikes broken, come and fix it.^_^

I'd already booked today off work....a good job as I really wouldn't have wanted to spend all day sat down driving a lorry. Was gonna take the kids swimming today, but that's out the window!

I put the full monty 120psi in and check once a week. They've never dropped below 100psi. I've just checked them now and they're 105 and 110 respectively. T'was the muddy/gritty road surface that did for me. (And I was going too fast. Me an idiot!)
I would suggest running them a wee bit lower if it works for you and p'tures but as I said I've never had a bent so I could be talking out of my @rse there, take care ;)

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Wow! I ordered a new shifter/cables etc etc from chainreactioncycles yesterday (Friday) and they came today. They're always really quick (next day) but I was expecting it to be Monday. So, everything's fitted, and the bike is now as good as new.....my leg ain't though. It's got more painful and I think I might have to have a few days commuting on the motorbike, not been on her since October.

Top Bottom