My first major 'off'. Ouchie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Wow! I ordered a new shifter/cables etc etc from chainreactioncycles yesterday (Friday) and they came today. They're always really quick (next day) but I was expecting it to be Monday. So, everything's fitted, and the bike is now as good as new.....my leg ain't though. It's got more painful and I think I might have to have a few days commuting on the motorbike, not been on her since October.
Not the cheapest but get an order in early in the day & you typically get things delivered very quick. I put an order in which included a custom wheel build at 6:30ish one day, I got the wheel delivered around mid-day the following day! The wheel hasn't given a hit of trouble either :biggrin:.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Injury update. FFS it hurts like buggery. I'm back at work tomorrow and have a 5 1/2hour drive to Torquay.....and then anothe 5 1/2 back to Doncaster. Imagine the worst sun burn you've ever had, times it by 10, imagine it's on you arse, and you have to sit on it all day long. I can't wait!

injuryupdate.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
as a tarmac kiss expert, two things

as others have said, stick a plasticy thing over it, any chemist should stock them, stops it hurting, keeps it clean, stops it scabbing and scarring, no brainer

the two dry cleaners near my house have done excellent repairs on three different tears to lycra, a knee, hip and elblow, almost invisible and holding perfectly a year later for the hip to my assos shorts that I use plenty

tyres, even gators don't slip without reason, gots to be oil or gravel or something, wet metal?

markg0vbr

Über Member
Double damn and blast. I thought I'd got off lightly but the left grip shifter is also damaged beyond repair. This is one of those jobs that looks like it will be a complete pain in the arse. The shifter, doddle, the cable? Inner, outer, those bits before the cable routes through the frame brackets, ferrells, threading the thing through......I think I'll give my local bike shop the job and enjoy my weekend off! Ah well, an excuse to upgrade to Sram X9 shifters I suppose.
you might be better thinking trigger shifters, i have never liked the twist grips on my bacchetta giro and was going to change them to triggers. unfortunately i had the same off as you but at 5mph and broke my hip :cry: i have now found out i have osteoporosis and can no longer ride two wheelers.

i only had to put a new outer on my brake cable.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
as a tarmac kiss expert, two things

the two dry cleaners near my house have done excellent repairs on three different tears to lycra, a knee, hip and elblow, almost invisible and holding perfectly a year later for the hip to my assos shorts that I use plenty

I'm too cheap for that, so I stitched them myself. I don't think it's noticeable, but then again I do get an awful lot of ladies staring at my posterior.......:rolleyes:

you might be better thinking trigger shifters, i have never liked the twist grips on my bacchetta giro and was going to change them to triggers. unfortunately i had the same off as you but at 5mph and broke my hip :cry: i have now found out i have osteoporosis and can no longer ride two wheelers.

i only had to put a new outer on my brake cable.

Erm, again I'm too cheap for that. Actually, I've had no probs with the twist shifters. Maybe it's a case of what you've never had you never miss? Besides, I'm never ever going to fall off again!:whistle: The fall has made me start to think about trikes again though, but finances say I won't be getting one any time soon.....I keep watching ebay though, just in case.

markg0vbr

Über Member
"The fall has made me start to think about trikes again though, but finances say I won't be getting one any time soon." Trikes are good and the best thing ever for touring, but the bacchetta is the best bike i have ever had, nothing like it on a fast bit of road with swooping bends. :hyper: for day rides, if i could still ride two wheels, it would be the high racer every time even on the hilly rides.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
as others have said, stick a plasticy thing over it, any chemist should stock them, stops it hurting, keeps it clean, stops it scabbing and scarring, no brainer
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Hydrocolloid dressing. Just make sure you get dressings that are considerably bigger than the wound, and be brave and leave it there accumulating liquid (it'll look cloudy, but don't worry about that) for several days if you can (and it might take change of dressing after a week and a few more days after that to be OK without the dressing). It's the moisture that stops the scarring, and having the dressing on will stop the stinging almost completely.

rowan 46

Über Member
get well soon

Attachments

• Mud.jpg
    Mud.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom