Votes: 1 100.0%
  • get a cheap car, and cycle when can/feel like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get a motorbike and use van when really bad weather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

There's a chance i might soon be offered a new job 22miles away, on considerably more money than i'm on now.
I'm not sure I'd want to commute that distance by cycle every day at the moment, partly 'cos i'm not as fit as I could be, and I'm not sure whether they've got showers or not so would be a bit dire if they haven't. Hopefully they will, and if so I can cycle in when I feel like it and before long I'll probably be fit enough to cycle more days than not.
But if not, my options are:
get a cheap car (like £200-£300 cheap!), if so, what sort?!
Advantages - fairly economical to buy and hopefully to run while still being comfortable; disadvantages - where to park it at home when (if) they build barriers on the car park again
use my van, advantages - no initial outlay, comfortable, no risk; disadvantages, fairly expensive on fuel, fairly noisy on motorway, don't really want to put 200 miles a week of wear and tear on it
get a motorbike - advantages: very cheap to run after initial outlay, quick, fun; disadvantages: high(ish) initial outlay to learn to ride it, not so good in cold/wet weather

Cycling - Does anybody else do 20-odd miles commutes by cycle, if so how do you find it/how long does it generally take/do you find it a drag/how did you take to it at first?
Motorbikes - what's the reason people don't generally tend to ride them in the rain - is it just because it's grim and uncomfortable, or 'cos it's a lot more dangerous, or because it's not going to do it any good? I know people don't them on gritted roads due to the latter reason, but not sure about rain.

Other options?

gary r

Guru
my commute is 40 miles a day,I ride 3 days a week (sometimes 4 if i feel like it) I need a car for the other 2 days as public transport to work takes to long (train & Bus) I have thought about getting rid of the car as i only really use it for 2 days a week,& it costs alot to run for just 2 days a week.i could probably ride every day but we all have days when we dont feel upto it.
Take the new job & see if there is someone who travels in who lives near you who you can get a lift from 2 days a week & just contribute a bit of petrol money

OP
OP
B

bonj2

you mean 40 mile round trip don't you, not 40 miles each way?(!) How long does it take you, do you find it a drag to cycle?

I know none of the developers live in sheffield but there's loads of people in customer services so there's a fair chance some of them do so car sharing is a good thing to perhaps consider.

Cab

No public transport options Bonj? Can you use bus or train to reduce the distance travelled, and keep a bike locked up at one end or the other to get to and from the station/bus stop? Or get a brompton to take on to a bus/train?

gary r

Guru
yes 40miles round trip,It takes about 1hr.5m (wind behind) or 1.15m.Yes it does become a bit of a drag.But having the car as a back up helps,I wouldnt want to have to ride everyday.If you decide to ride just make sure your bike is suitable for commuting,Mudguards,good lights,pannier etc.I have a shower at work which helps after a winter commute,If there is no shower you can use baby wet wipes to freshen up.also leave shoes & trousers at work so you dont have to carry much.If you are not used to that distance,just take it easy for the first few weeks & try not to "race" along.I dont find the distance a problem now. Good luck!!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
1.There's a chance i might soon be offered a new job 22miles away, on considerably more money than i'm on now.

2.Motorbikes - what's the reason people don't generally tend to ride them in the rain -?

1.Seeing as I'm in the area
Roughly what areas the commute?

2. They're not proper bikers if they leave the bike at home if theres anything less than 6" of driving snow

Public transport a possibility? I take the train and cycle most days. If I'm unwell I take the train all the way.

Failing that, if you want a car, a 1.9 diesel Citroen ZX or 1.7 diesel Vauxhall Astra. Cheap as chips, low tax and insurance, great engines, very economical (like 50mpg if driven well) and no problems getting them serviced.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Get a moped for your lazy days, otherwise cycle.

I did think of a moped, but it wouldn't be much cheaper than a proper motorbike because you still have to do CBT, and they've only got a top speed of about 40mph and I don't think they're actually as safe as a proper motorbike because I'd always be getting overtaken by lorries and what not.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

various people said:
public transport?

bus or train takes an hour and a half, AND there's then about a 4 or 5 mile cycle on top of that. Not an acceptable journey time.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gambatte said:
1.Seeing as I'm in the area
Roughly what areas the commute?
sheffield - sutton in ashfield.

gambatte said:
2. They're not proper bikers if they leave the bike at home if theres anything less than 6" of driving snow

Hmmm.... ;)
well I'm going to ask my bro for his advice on motorbikes. 'cos the only people I've spoken to about it so far are my parents and they are biased.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gary r said:
yes 40miles round trip,It takes about 1hr.5m (wind behind) or 1.15m.Yes it does become a bit of a drag.But having the car as a back up helps,I wouldnt want to have to ride everyday.If you decide to ride just make sure your bike is suitable for commuting,Mudguards,good lights,pannier etc.I have a shower at work which helps after a winter commute,If there is no shower you can use baby wet wipes to freshen up.also leave shoes & trousers at work so you dont have to carry much.If you are not used to that distance,just take it easy for the first few weeks & try not to "race" along.I dont find the distance a problem now. Good luck!!

Hmmm..., cheers for that. I suppose I need to get the job first.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Suggesting that Bonj rides a bike with mudguards and panniers?? Do you not consider your safety when making such comments?

I've already got panniers, but wouldn't have mudguards as they're pointless and add weight and rattle around.

domtyler

Über Member
Go for a car, maybe something small and practical like an Ariel Atom? You wouldn't want to get too cold come winter.

domtyler

Über Member
Ah yes, I remember my days of being the proud owner of a Yamaha RD125LC, big bore kit, Micron exhaust, the lot, used to get over a ton out of it downhill on a good day. I used to live for that power band.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Looks a daunting run for a regular commute. But then doing it 5 days a week would set you up as one of the ‘Daddies’ on here, a real serious ‘Commuter’.

Try it by bike, have the public transport option as a back up?

As to the 4-5 mile at the other end, take some inline skates, ask Bentmikey for some lessons or tips…;):biggrin:

Top Bottom