Commuting to stirling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am attending a workshop in Stirling on Monday and Tuesday. It just so happens that it doesn't start until 11:30am. So guess who will be commuting to Stirling tomorrow. :tongue:

It the sort of workshop that goes into the evenings, so I will be commuting back on the Tuesday (probably via the train).

So my plan is to take in a wee route over Crow Road (with rucksack and all!) to stretch the legs.

My plan is to head along the Carron Valley Reservoir and then up one of the back roads towards Stirling. What is the best road to take?

I remember taking the road that goes past the North Third Reservoir on the Trossachs Ton last year and the road wasn't the best if I remember right. Am I best heading further East to Carron Bridge and heading North from there?

Any advice route gratefully received. ;)

Is that not the way we went (heading Further East to Carron Bridge); the alternative which is more direct is to take the first left (at the western end of the reservoir) to Shielbrae. I cant remember if its much better, Skook or Eludino will know better.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ah, part of it is. I was planning on going straight on towards Whins of Milton, rather than taking that left.

Seamab

magnatom said:
I am attending a workshop in Stirling on Monday and Tuesday. It just so happens that it doesn't start until 11:30am. So guess who will be commuting to Stirling tomorrow. ;)

It the sort of workshop that goes into the evenings, so I will be commuting back on the Tuesday (probably via the train).

So my plan is to take in a wee route over Crow Road (with rucksack and all!) to stretch the legs.

My plan is to head along the Carron Valley Reservoir and then up one of the back roads towards Stirling. What is the best road to take?

I remember taking the road that goes past the North Third Reservoir on the Trossachs Ton last year and the road wasn't the best if I remember right. Am I best heading further East to Carron Bridge and heading North from there?

Any advice route gratefully received. ;)

Take the left turn at Carron Bridge (as in the Trossachs Ton) but then do NOT take the next left to North Third (as in the TT) - but instead continue straight on down the hill for approx 2K- take the next minor road left and follow down and over the motorway at Chartershall. This section was resurfaced last year. The motorway bridge is (or was, why?) blocked to cars but bikes can get over easily. Follow straight on to join the main road and turn left onto it for central Stirling.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Don't go North Third, I did it a couple of weeks ago before work and ended up losing my waterboddle and bust the top off it. As you come from Carronbridge, just stay on the road you're following, it eventually takes you across the M9 but don't go to Chartershall as you have to go over the blocked bridge, if you stay on the Carronbridge road you'll eventually end up meeting the Glasgow Road which goes into Stirling.

Is it today you're doing this? Have I written the above in vain?!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Just arrived. Did the route you suggested. Absolutely wonderful ride. Loch Carron was still as glass. At the top of Crow Road a chap on a Triumph pulled upside me with a big grin saying how wonderful a day it was. Today was why I ride a bike!!!

Seamab

Glad you had a great ride Magnatom.

Eldudino - any idea why the Chartershall bridge is blocked? I rode over it last year on the bike and was able to get through easily.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Seamab said:
Glad you had a great ride Magnatom.

Eldudino - any idea why the Chartershall bridge is blocked? I rode over it last year on the bike and was able to get through easily.

No idea, it is easily passable but a pain in the arse on a road bike to slow down. Chartershall is a nice wee place, though I only go that way if I'm walking. Normally I turn immediately left after the vet surgery on the Glasgow road, which takes you over the motorway bridge further south and avoids the blocked one.

Goad you got here ok Mags. Are you up for some 1:4 hill action later, look for Logie Kirk and keep pedalling until you either a) die or :smile: get to the top, whichever comes first! :laugh::evil:

Top Bottom