commuting tyres for cross bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
How'd you get on with these tyres?

I have M+ in 32s but don't have enough experience to judge them against other options, or other sizes. I fancy going back to 28s but don't know if M+ in 28 will be noticeably different than 32 M+.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

I have M+ in 32s but don't have enough experience to judge them against other options, or other sizes. I fancy going back to 28s but don't know if M+ in 28 will be noticeably different than 32 M+.

I went down from 35s to 28s. 28s are quicker and I didn't notice any difference in comfort.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
In Marathon Plus? Do you think there is a massive trade off in speed/handling for the puncture resistance?

How would the oft quoted GP4000S compare to M+ in real, tangible terms - both 28s - would there be a significant difference noticed?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In Marathon Plus? Do you think there is a massive trade off in speed/handling for the puncture resistance?

How would the oft quoted GP4000S compare to M+ in real, tangible terms - both 28s - would there be a significant difference noticed?

Yes M+, I'm not the fastest rider on the planet so I don't worry about trade off in speed, as for handling I've never had any issues with them. I've never used the GP400s so can't give a comparison.

andyfraser

Über Member

I couldn't tell the difference between M+s in 28 and 32 at all. My times were exactly the same they felt the same.

I've tried M+ in a 35, Schwalbe Tyragos in a 37, and Tannus solids in a 37. They have all got their merits, but the best all rounders have been the M+.

HailshamHoop

I've been using the standard Marathon 28's for the last 3000 miles with no punctures and handling seems fine to me (only came off once on a sheet of ice on a tight bend)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I couldn't tell the difference between M+s in 28 and 32 at all. My times were exactly the same they felt the same.
I think tyre size can be a psychological thing. A jump from 32c to 42c tyres on my Long Haul Trucker made chuff all difference to my average speeds into work.

Tyres I've used in larger sizes;
Schwalbe City Jet (32c) - Decent tyre, although they went on another bike after a few rides.
Vredestein Perfect Max (32c) - Somewhat heavier, I think, and rather poor grip in the wet.
Continental Comfort Contact (42c) - My favourite of the big tyres I've tried. Roll nice, grip well, and hard wearing enough (in that the number of unplanned deflations was manageable, and a worthwhile trade off for the loveliness of the ride).
Continental Touring Plus (42c) - Ok, but very sensitive to being at the wrong pressure (a drop of 10psi has them feeling all wrong). Good handling & grip, slightly heavy feel.

mythste

Veteran
Just for reference, I purchased some Conti Gator Hardshells which I've really put through their paces recently. No complaints whatsoever, rolling resistance is (obviously) far better than the CX tyres I had on before and I'm finding I can rely on momentum on ascents much more which is nice!

Only put 100 miles or so on them so I cant really comment on puncture protection, but I have noticed some hazards a little later than I'd like and had a cringe moment going over glass and loose metal wires etc. Survived so far.

Top Bottom