Commuting videos - clipping the interesting bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Now that I have a GoPro HD camera, I wanted to ask how those of you with HD cameras clip your video footage? I want to chop off the uninteresting bits and keep only the small segments of video I'm planning to edit/unload. Too much data to handle, otherwise.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Windows movie maker is good, especially on Windows 7.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I use AVI Trimmer to reduce the main file to a manageable size which contains only the relevant bit, then edit this in MovieMaker. There must be something similar for HD content (he says)...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You can use movie maker to just clip if you don't need any of the other functions.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What format does it record in?
My contourHD records .mov's and i just use quicktime to trim the videos. If a vehicle is involved then i save them as [Numberplate] [Date]. Otherwise it's [short description] [date]. if vehicles are involved, i was trim it from where i first saw it to where i last saw it.
I then keep 2 months worth of backdated footage which i delete every other week.
I also have a spredsheet which i use to record details of every i have reported to the police. So numberplates, reference, time, date, location etc..

Femto

That's very organised, Gaz.

Do you mean just the normal Quicktime Player, or have you got the full sha-bang?

As far as clipping goes, the Contour HD and HD 1080p has an application called Easy Edit which allows it. Not a lot else though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got the full quicktime, but you should be able to do it on the normal quicktime.

Easy edit is a pile of rubbish.

Ben1982

Yamb maybe? not used it myself, but by the looks if it the cam uses h264 for video, and sounds like it will do what you're after. :smile:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It seems like a good solution for me is MP4Cam2AVI, which basically changes the video container to AVI - losslessly. Then to use virtualdub to clip the sections of video.

Top Bottom