Commuting Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo891

Anyone got any recommendations for some decent winter tyres for my commute.
Its all road based and I want to get there quickly but in one peice. I can be out as early as 7am at times

andyfraser

Über Member
What size? I used a pair of Schwalbe Snow tyres last winter. They're 700x35 and went on my hybrid (and will again in a few weeks). The Snow tyres have been discontinued by the looks of it so I'd buy these now: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/. They're expensive but worth it if they work as well as the lower-speced Snow tyres.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For me it's 28mm Vittoria Pro Tech* until it gets icy, then 30mm Schwalbe Winters will just fit under my mudguards.

*Same as all year round but now discontinued.

gazza_d

Schwalble Marathon Winters with the Studs. I bought a pair from Bike discount in Germany last year for about what UK websites were charging for a single one.

Magic on ice & perfect for those cold mornings that have patchy stretches. Don't roll too badly either.

OP
OP
R

robbo891

thanks guys some really useful suggestions here. I dont need spikes thats for sure. thanks for the input!

Jimidh

Veteran
Continental GP4000s also - got them on three road bikes and don't have a problem summer or winter. Great fast tyres with impressive puncture protection.

Tynan

Veteran
gets wet in summer too, and even in the dry it's rather easy to lock both wheels and skid

ice and snow is a totally different problem

Top Bottom