Commuting with a Laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thinking a bit more about my old commuting regime, my most enjoyable commutes where those with the least luggage - I kept shoes, clothes and (spare) power supply at work, never bothered carrying (or using) a lock (kept bike indoors in a CCTV area). The laptop was probably the single heaviest item I carried - so if I had consecutive days in the office I'd leave it in a desk overnight.

Power supplies may vanish if not locked away at night!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I commuted with a laptop for years. I used a padded case inside a rear pannier. Metal rust hard drive. No problems at all. Do you need to commute with laptop everyday or can you lock it in a drawer at work some days?

Just seen it’s one day a week. Try the smoother route if poss but with ssd I reckon you’ll be fine even if rough in a few places.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I commuted with a laptop for years. I used a padded case inside a rear pannier. Metal rust hard drive. No problems at all. Do you need to commute with laptop everyday or can you lock it in a drawer at work some days?

Just seen it’s one day a week. Try the smoother route if poss but with ssd I reckon you’ll be fine even if rough in a few places.

Just one day - I'll be in a car the other days (car sharing with MrsF) or WFH. Days I'm in on my own, makes sense to ride. I used to do five days a week, so left stuff at work. I've not worn a 'work shirt' for 16 months !

I'm still working from home but in the past I commuted with a laptop in a backpack (actually an Ortlieb Pannier with a backpack adapter). The laptop bag fitted nice and tight inside the backpack. It tended to be a one way 15miles commute and I'd leave the laptop in the office a couple of weeks until my next round of chemo when I worked at home for a few days. So it didn't get daily exposure although I rode a 25mm trod road bike.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@fossyant with your back there is no way I would consider a rucksack with any real weight it. When I commuted, I used panniers, either a single if it was just a laptop and change of clothes or a pair if I needed the big lock and other items like lunch or books. I never had a problem with the laptop, even in the days of mechanical drives as they park themselves pretty well when shutdown. I notice this thread is a month old, what did you do?

KneesUp

Guru
How big is the laptop? I use a Carradice SQR slim which is wide enough to take my laptop in a padded sleeve plus some stuff either side for more padding if needed. It feels better for the laptop that being in the panniers, but then I did that for a long time with no real issues too.

Alex321

Veteran
If not for your back issues, I would much rather have it in a backpack than in panniers. The couple of times I have gone in so far (15 miles each way) I have used a backpack. After the first mile or two, you hardly notice it is there, and the laptop will be getting far less jostling.

It is also less likely to get damaged if you do come off, as you are most likely to land on your side, with the backpack not directly impacting the ground, while one pannier will always hit the ground - with the bike on top of it.

I did use panniers when I used to commute regularly years ago, but no laptop then, it was just clothes and packed lunch.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I'm OK with a backpack and did do a ride to a business meeting off road just before lock down at Shrigley Hall, but with clothes for two days, a lock, laptop, it was stupid heavy. I'm looking to get a shockproof case - it's a 14" Lenovo. I'd still be using panniers, rucksac or not. I actually have a laptop rucksack that I carry the laptop around in anyway.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I did my first post-lockdown commute last week. I am in the process of building up a commuting bike (an old 26” rigid MTB with a rack and panniers) but it’s not ready yet so I took my gravel bike and a rucksack. This contained my 14” laptop, shoes, clothes for the day, small wash kit and microfibre towel plus odds and ends. It ended up being surprisingly heavy but was bearable. The main issue I had was that it’s all in one bag, meaning my clothes and showering stuff is in with my laptop and business stuff and it all has to come to my desk with me. I’m planning on using two panniers and having one for the work stuff and the other for the clothes and personal stuff, meaning I can keep them compartmentalised and not have to dig through one to get to the other.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I did my first post-lockdown commute last week. I am in the process of building up a commuting bike (an old 26” rigid MTB with a rack and panniers) but it’s not ready yet so I took my gravel bike and a rucksack. This contained my 14” laptop, shoes, clothes for the day, small wash kit and microfibre towel plus odds and ends. It ended up being surprisingly heavy but was bearable. The main issue I had was that it’s all in one bag, meaning my clothes and showering stuff is in with my laptop and business stuff and it all has to come to my desk with me. I’m planning on using two panniers and having one for the work stuff and the other for the clothes and personal stuff, meaning I can keep them compartmentalised and not have to dig through one to get to the other.

Ta da...

Top Bottom