Compact Confusion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie B

My bike is an Elswick 700c Equipe. It has a 13 - 28 compact cassette, 42 - 52 one piece chainset and 7 speed sis gears. I would like to change the chainset to a 36 - 46.
I am confused as to why most of the chainsets are sold as a 7,8,9 or 10 speed etc.
If I was to buy a 7 speed compact chainset, does that mean I can retain my existing bottom bracket and all will be well ?
Can I buy any double compact chainset and ask which bottom bracket is needed to suit ?
I need to know what my options are. Would be glad of any help to solve my confusion.

first off - you don't have a 'compact cassette' - there's no such thing. It's just a cassette.

The chainset is completely independent of the number of speeds you are running on the cassette. Whichever compact chainset you buy will need to be compatible with your bottom bracket, or you will need to buy a bottom bracket to match the new chainset.

I have the defy 2 2010 I think. It is a compact and when I bought it the chap said he could swap the chainset over too give me an extra lower gear if I wanted it free of charge and if I wanted it done at a later date £35

lulubel

Über Member
He's right tho, one often sees posh road bikes advertised with "10 speed chain set" and the like...

Stu

It would normally be 10-sp double, compact or triple chainset, which tells you there are 10 rear sprockets and also tells you whether there are 2 or 3 chainrings, and roughly how many teeth you can expect the chainrings to have. Short phrase, lots of information.

OP
OP
S

Stevie B

Thanks black 'n' yellow and everyone else.
I now understand I can buy any compact chainset but may need to change the bottom bracket. I still cannot understand why sellers advertise compact chainsets as 7,8,9, and 10 speed, if it really does'nt matter. Would be interested in your feedback

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks black 'n' yellow and everyone else.
I now understand I can buy any compact chainset but may need to change the bottom bracket. I still cannot understand why sellers advertise compact chainsets as 7,8,9, and 10 speed, if it really does'nt matter. Would be interested in your feedback

Probably just convenience, since each groupset typically has a particular "speed" count associated with it. Eg Shimano Ultregra groupset uses a 10 spd cassette, so an Ultegra chainset will probably be referred to as a 10 speed compact/double/triple chainset.

Cyclist33

It would normally be 10-sp double, compact or triple chainset, which tells you there are 10 rear sprockets and also tells you whether there are 2 or 3 chainrings, and roughly how many teeth you can expect the chainrings to have. Short phrase, lots of information.

Lol I do know that. I was just commenting that the OP's confusion is understandable, seeing as how the 10 speeds are on a cassette not a chainset.

Stu

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It is the Shifters and Cassette which ultimately determine what 'speed'. I understand that some 10 speed chainrings are minimally thinner than 9 speed and the distance between the rings may also be slightly less, 10 speed chains being slightly narrower. In most cases no problems. How about '10 speed brake calipers'?

GrasB

Veteran
Something to note: some 10 speed cranksets place the chainrings closer together which allows for crisper shifting & allow for the pedals to be closer together, however this means you chainring rub with wider chains used on <9sp setups.

Top Bottom