Compact (drop) handlebars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Has anyone used these?

I've been looking at a road bike that's on sale, and it's fitted with them. This is the Wiggle page for the ones on it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/FSA_Omega_Alloy_Compact_Handlebar/5360036373/

I rode it for about a mile and a half, with the bike reasonably set up for me, and they seemed comfortable, but with a very different feel from normal drops.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience using them on day-long rides, and opinion of them after doing the rides!

The guy selling the bike is including the original bars and 4 rolls of tape, so it isn't critical - the price being asked may be though. :troll:

(He's decided that now he's 45 he's too old to ride his bike ?!*^?!*>?!*<?!* Don't think he could come to terms with me turning up to look at it and making an offer.)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Interesting.

Handlebars have got wider since the 80s. People used to deliberate between 38cm and 40cm (I think Merckx rode 38cm). Then they went wider, and are now, typcally 44cm. I've got a pair of 40s on the Kirk and I wouldn't mind having a slightly narrower bar on the Colnago.

Equally, the drops used to be smaller, and whereas I used the drops a lot in the past, I don't use them at all on the Colnago, and I've lowered the bars to suit riding on the hoods.

I think the hand size thing might be a bit of a red herring. The real problem for people with small hands is that for all the 'women's specific' stuff on the market STI levers come in the one size.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have the FSA wing pro alloy bars on my tourer which are the same bend as the omega, but with a flat bit on the tops. AFAIC they are the mutts nuts.

Having arthritis in the neck means I can't go too low on the drops otherwise I can't see where I'm going, but these beauties have done me proud. Recommended. (Just don't buy all the stock because I want a pair on my road bike).

buddha

Veteran
I couldn't find any Omega Compact bars in stock around 1 month ago. So bought the Vero Compact instead. Which, I think are identical to the Omega, but don't have as many cable routing grooves.
Much more comfortable than a 'full' drop for me at least. The extended length of the drop part is especially useful.

My only gripe is that the curve on the top of the bar could be a bit tighter - so having your hands on the tops feels a bit restricted.

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Thanks everyone.

Interesting to see the comments - I've heard of them and seen pictures, but this is the first time up close and touching them, and a short ride isn't enough to find out what they're really like.

He's now decided no one's offered him enough so he's going to try ebay. It's a Claud Butler Dalesman from the late '80s, so a nice bike, so perhaps he will get more!

GrahamG

Guru
buddha said:
My only gripe is that the curve on the top of the bar could be a bit tighter - so having your hands on the tops feels a bit restricted.

I changed my Omegas because of that - ordered some compacts from Pro PLT and 3T for comparison (I posted pictures on the CTC forum but not sure if they're still there). The 3T ergosums are much better in this respect, so are the Pro's but they have a shorter reach to the hoods which I didn't like.

Top Bottom