Company Chorus rear mech tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

Hi
I'm tuning my company rear mech and it's driving me mad.
High and low screws are bang on, I've wound the barrel adjuster in and then out a couple of turns, connected cable.
Going from the small cog to the large cog is fine, but going back to the small cog is a nightmare, the first 3/4 gears are fine and then the next 2 won't engage unless I loosen the barrel but then when I go to go from the small to the large cogs again I have to tighten then barrel again.
It's only the middle of the cassette that's the problem.
Any ideas.

Viking

I started to get similar on my Campag rear mech. New cables - inner and outer - fixed the problem.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Thanks for the replies.

The cable is clamped on in the correct position, I'll try the inner and cable cable next I guess.

Fingers crossed.

Viking

Nope fitting a new inner and outer cable didn't make a difference.
I think I'll stick with Shimano in future.
Sorry that didn't work for you. I know that a few years back there was a problem with the spring in some Centaur rear mechs where it wasn't sufficiently strong to overcome the cable drag when moving to smaller cogs. I didn't have that problem with the Centaur but my Athena was reluctant to shift to smaller cogs after about 6 months use. The new cables have been on it for 2 years and it has been fine. (I realise this doesn't help you, sorry)

The only other thing is that IIRC, Campag recommend setting up the cable tension when the chain is in the middle of the block rather than top or bottom. That may help but don't take this as gospel (it's a long time since I checked their website)

Top Bottom