1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company on the cycle path

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 23 Apr 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

There was an accident on my main road in this morning, which resulted in a couple of miles of very slow-moving cars. I managed to negotiate a lot of the tailback on the road, but it narrows for a fair length. Alongside this is a wide pavement which is designated shared use, with those little,round, blue signs. So, recognising one advantage of cycle paths, I hopped on there. And I was merrily pootling along, boosted by tryign to guess how much later than me these poor drivers would be arriving at work, when I was joined on the footpath.

By a scooter.

And not a little 50cc moped. This was one of those fat, laid back things with storage all over and a full fairing.

For a second I thought that he was crossing the pavement to get to the drive of a house. But no, for several hundred yards he drove along the pavement, then left onto a side road before doubling back to push into the queue approaching some traffic lights.

I hope that the drivers who shout about cyclists noted this.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

They might have noted it, but will most likely not have given it much significance. Nowhere near as much as when you'd ridden on the road instead of the cyclepath for example.

3. MP I've seen someone do this in a car before!!!

4. ed_o_brain

ed_o_brain Senior Member

I've seen a good number of moped riders and motor cyclists using cycle infratructure up here in Manchester.

5. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

It doesn't surprise me that scooterers use on-road cycle facilities, nor exclusive off-road paths. But this was an unmarked pavement.

6. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I have known kids on a tail bike doing that...

7. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

In Holland it happens. One kid on a 50cc moped tried racing this huge group of cyclists and ended up loosing.
    Around here on the main road there is one of those stupid cycle lanes thats down the side of the road with car parking at the side of it. Its more like a path for car drivers getting out their car. There is often motorbikes going along it if there is a a line of traffic.

8. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

Whereabouts was this MisterP?

9. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Bristol Road. The narrow bit before the big McDonalds junction. The scooter jumped on the pavement about 2/3 of the way down the narrow section, and off at the next left hand road just around the bend by the shops.

10. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

But in the Netherlands it is often specifically allowed (for mopeds anyway). This often causes confusion and makes moped riders think they can use every cycle lane...

11. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

This just goes further to demonstrate how downhill certain parts of Birmingham are moving nowadays.

12. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

It's a very long time since those parts of Edgbaston were anywhere near the uphill slope. It's right by Speedwell Road, and you know what goes on there.