Comparing Trek Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vic111

I've had a Trek 730 hybrid for about 15 years. I've loved it but just did my first Sprint Triathlon at the age of 51. I got the bug, but wasn't happy with everyone passing me on their bikes.

I want to upgrade and have a $1,000 or so budget. So no Carbon frame. I love Trek and I am in between a Domane AL 3 $959, Domane ALR 3 $1,149 and Emonda ALR 4 $1,149. I've used the comparison chart Trek has provided, but want some layman advice.

Any advice on the differences? What else should I budget for? (pedals, clip in shoes, fitting, etc. ?) thanks

bpsmith

Veteran
Is this bike for a Triathlon or general riding? What type of surfaces will you ride it on.

The Domane is more geared up for comfortable sportive type riding and also for tougher surfaces.

The Emonda is more lightweight and geared for climbing hills.

Both get good reviews in fairness.

TigerT

Veteran
I just got an Emonda at the weekend (SL6 disc)

As the previous poster said, the Domane is the more comfortable frame. Having said that, the Emonda is not uncomfortable. I came to the Emonda from a Specialized Roubaix, on a smooth surface the Emonda was a lot better, on some of the more rough paths, I missed the comfort of the Roubaix, the Emonda was noticeably more stiff and as a result, I felt less confident.

Both the Domane and Emonda are great bikes. I‘d try and take them both for a test ride.

OP
OP
V

vic111

Thanks guys. I got the bug because of my first sprint triathlon. So it will be that and some fun riding. Comfort is important. Am I getting much more for the ALR 3 over the AL 3? Thanks

bpsmith

Veteran
Lighter frame will be the main change. 9.77kg for AL and 9.44kg for ALR.

No doubt some will respond to say how pointless the weight saving is. They would be right in some scenarios and wrong in others.

Does depend on your requirements tbh.

Top Bottom