Compass near a magnet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep - can't navigate if magnets or iron (like steel) are nearby. Unclip it and walk a few feet.

A compass mounted on a bicycle is useless should you have had plans to navigate by it.
The good news is that storing it inside the pannier is OK too. To demagnetise the needle you have to repetitively do a bunch of stuff to it with a magnet in close proximity. That's not likely to happen either.
North is that-away. Off you go.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
I've found one quite handy a few times, it's easy to get your direction a bit muddled when riding small lanes and tracks (especially through wooded areas). I don't need it mounted on the bike, I was just wondering if having it too near my bar bag would permanently damage it, I'll just hold it away from the bike if I use it.

swansonj

Guru
Works in the same way - a magnet will distort that too
But surely the OP isn't talking about getting a temporary erroneous reading when close to the bike, they are talking about permanent damage to the compass by demagnetising or demagnetising the needle. Compasses in phones are of course equally susceptible to the former but not the latter.

But surely the OP isn't talking about getting a temporary erroneous reading when close to the bike, they are talking about permanent damage to the compass by demagnetising or demagnetising the needle. Compasses in phones are of course equally susceptible to the former but not the latter.
True

Top Bottom