Competitive Hill Climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
I've looked for a Thread about competitive Hill Climbs but can't find one, so I started this.

Over the last few years I have entered a few competitive Hill Climbs and have quite enjoyed them. I was wondering if anyone else is doing them and wanted to share thoughts, advice etc on here?

There is a Midland Hill Climbing League which I joined, which age-adjusts results of the 10 Hill Climbs in their series so even old codgers like me can compete on an even basis.

I am thinking about doing the National Championships in October (Porlock Hill, Minehead).

Anyone?
 
Don't forget your front/back lights, and helmet!
 
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
Don't forget your front/back lights, and helmet!

Yeah, I got a friend along to one hill climb this year and he had no lights. I should have warned him but assumed he'd know as he had done Time Trials before. Luckily I had a spare rear and the organisers had a spare front, so he could compete.
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
Last year or the year before I rode down one in the Surrey Hills - it just happened to be on my route. Lots of cowbells and merriment and people grimacing in dreadful distress riding up the hill. I didn't have a clue what was going on so I had a chat with the people at the bottom who assured me that I would love it if I entered the next one. I didn't believe them. I told them I'd think about it. I was lying.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
My Road Race this Sunday (tomorrow) has been cancelled due to roadworks, so I can now do a Hill Climb in the Midland Hill Climbing League - Maxstoke Hill.
 

Legs

usually riding on Zwift or up steep hills...
Location
Staffordshire
My son and I rode Monsal yesterday. I dropped back 7s on my time from last year to finish in 1:43.6, which was a touch disappointing but no better than I deserved because I haven't really been focussing my training on this kind of explosive effort.

Daniel (9) was riding his first ever bike race and put in a fabulous effort to get up the 1-in-6 gradient on his 20"-wheeled MTB. Oli Bridgewood did a feature for GCN on our bikes, which really made my lad up - he's looking forward to it appearing on the YouTube channel. The Monsal crowd were fantastic and, considering that Daniel had an early start, there were still loads of people out cheering him on 🥰.

I might have got something in my eye as he crossed the line.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 0

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
I've looked for a Thread about competitive Hill Climbs but can't find one, so I started this.

Over the last few years I have entered a few competitive Hill Climbs and have quite enjoyed them. I was wondering if anyone else is doing them and wanted to share thoughts, advice etc on here?

There is a Midland Hill Climbing League which I joined, which age-adjusts results of the 10 Hill Climbs in their series so even old codgers like me can compete on an even basis.

I am thinking about doing the National Championships in October (Porlock Hill, Minehead).

Anyone?

I don't but I probably should!

Have you come across a chap called Paolo Coppi in the MHCL? He used to be a regular member on the BR forum and I know he competed in these. I think he qualified for the Nationals on 2 or 3 occasions.
 

Legs

usually riding on Zwift or up steep hills...
Location
Staffordshire
I don't but I probably should!

Have you come across a chap called Paolo Coppi in the MHCL? He used to be a regular member on the BR forum and I know he competed in these. I think he qualified for the Nationals on 2 or 3 occasions.

Yep, Paolo is a big mover/shaker in the hill climbing scene in the Midlands - an active event promoter, and no shrinking violet!
 
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
I don't but I probably should!

Have you come across a chap called Paolo Coppi in the MHCL? He used to be a regular member on the BR forum and I know he competed in these. I think he qualified for the Nationals on 2 or 3 occasions.

Yes, Paolo runs the MHCL and I find to be a likeable guy, I asked his advice when I considered buying a Hill Climbing bike recently.

I'll post the link on this thread to the MHCL stuff when it comes around next year.
 
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Location
Warwick
My son and I rode Monsal yesterday. I dropped back 7s on my time from last year to finish in 1:43.6, which was a touch disappointing but no better than I deserved because I haven't really been focussing my training on this kind of explosive effort.

Daniel (9) was riding his first ever bike race and put in a fabulous effort to get up the 1-in-6 gradient on his 20"-wheeled MTB. Oli Bridgewood did a feature for GCN on our bikes, which really made my lad up - he's looking forward to it appearing on the YouTube channel. The Monsal crowd were fantastic and, considering that Daniel had an early start, there were still loads of people out cheering him on 🥰.

I might have got something in my eye as he crossed the line.

That is awesome. Fair play to Daniel 💪 ...... and you of course ^_^
 
Top Bottom