Complete brake disassembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These are ancient (10 year old) Campag dual-pivot brakes, not sure of the brand (the markings have long since rubbed off) but think they're Mirage. Need to be totally disassembled about once a year, regular cleaning and oiling won't keep the dirt at bay forever!

The thing that thwarted me this time, was that there's a tiny set screw in one of the yokes which tightens onto the centre pivot bolt. Anyone else come across this? Up till now it's loosened OK, but this time I couldn't loosen it, the hexagonal recess for the allen key just stripped when I tried. So I just had to loosen the main pivot bolt by brute force, just enough to get some solvent, then oil, into the crack, then re-tighten again. I've probably graunched up things a bit inside. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the brakes seem to be working nice and smooth and sweetly again, for the moment at any rate. But next time they full of crud it'll probably have to be new brakes. Unless anyone has a better idea. :whistle:

ASC1951

Guru
661-Pete said:
The thing that thwarted me this time, was that there's a tiny set screw in one of the yokes which tightens onto the centre pivot bolt. Anyone else come across this?
It's for centering the brake assembly after tightening up the main pivot bolt. I hardly ever use mine and by the sound of it you never do, so if you don't mind riding with your brakes marginally off optimum strike you can carry on ignoring it.

OP
OP

661-Pete

ASC1951 said:
It's for centering the brake assembly after tightening up the main pivot bolt. I hardly ever use mine and by the sound of it you never do, so if you don't mind riding with your brakes marginally off optimum strike you can carry on ignoring it.
No, the screw I think you're referring to is a different one, over to one side. The one I'm talking about, is in the centre and tightens direct against the screw threads on the pivot bolt, it's meant to stop it from unscrewing, and is probably totally unnecessary as there's a lock nut on the main bolt to do that. Sort of belt and braces! And it never needs to be moved in normal brake adjustment, that's why it seized up.

My problem was that the set screw was jammed up tight against the threads and stopping me from taking out the pivot bolt altogether. But I think I've got around it. I'll just post a caution to others - if they come across this set screw, remove it, it's unnecessary and troublesome.

Top Bottom