Complete Newbie after advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaneWBA

Afternoon all,

I know there will be many many posts similar to this, but I am looking at getting a bike - thinking either from Halfords or Evans Cycles via the cycle to work scheme

However I have no idea where to start with bikes, I spent last night reading through this forum, but I know that little, all the talk regarding the type of forks and breaks etc just confused me lol

Initially I’m after a bike to ride on canal paths and tarmac, where I can go for a ride along the canal or ride to a nearby town and back, I’ve been thinking a mountain bike but now thinking a hybrid would be a better option as well

My budget for the bike alone would ideally be in the £400-£500 region

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps take a look at the Trek 7.x range and Pinnacles at Evans, plus the Boardman hybrids at Halfords

As it’s for commuting, make sure it takes proper mudguards for inclement weather and maybe a rack for panniers

Certainly no need for a mountain bike for those uses

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , hybrid is a good starting point , Ridgeback are good value I’ve always thought , a bloke I know and his girlfriend bought them last year and peddled from Richmond ( London) bikepackimg a fair ways across France and and not a peep out of them ,

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Either a rigid mountain bike or a hybrid will do the job you want it for, not much in it really. Both tend to have similar wide range gearing. Just avoid anything with suspension forks!
You don't really need to spend four or five hundred quid to pootle along a few gravel paths either. I had a good ride along the Grand Union canal the other day using a 30 year old steel framed Raleigh that I paid £20 for secondhand. The bike performed faultlessly, as it always does. Whatever you choose, make sure you run decent puncture-resistant tyres, not the cheap ones that tend to come with new bikes to keep the cost down and the profit margin up. Tow path surfaces can often be quite rough in places and punishing on tyres. There is nothing guaranteed to spoil a ride more than getting a puncture, and on most of my bikes the tyres are the most expensive thing on them.

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Thanks for the replies all

I know eventually once I’ve got comfortable with biking me and my mate plan on going camping and taking bikes with us that’s one reason why I was debating a mountain bike as well. Instead of walking trials to bike along them

Is it best not to get a bike with suspension then? I always thought getting front suspension at least would be more beneficial than not?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies all

I know eventually once I’ve got comfortable with biking me and my mate plan on going camping and taking bikes with us that’s one reason why I was debating a mountain bike as well. Instead of walking trials to bike along them

Is it best not to get a bike with suspension then? I always thought getting front suspension at least would be more beneficial than not?
Not on tarmac no. If you’re 90% off road properly (not a towpath or park, but woods and trails), then yes, maybe

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them out. Evans do test rides as do the Cycle Republic arm of Halfords

What’s your commute like? How far? Terrain?

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Go try them out. Evans do test rides as do the Cycle Republic arm of Halfords

What’s your commute like? How far? Terrain?
It’ll be about 3/4 miles, Mainly tarmac, but I’ll more than likely use it more when cycling on canal paths and walking trails than I will to work if I’m honest

vickster

Legendary Member
It’ll be about 3/4 miles, Mainly tarmac, but I’ll more than likely use it more when cycling on canal paths and walking trails than I will to work if I’m honest
Isn’t it a c2w bike?

If you prefer suspension go for it, but be aware it’ll be low end and heavy on a £500 bike. Make sure it has a lock out for tarmac or you’ll be bouncing along like Zebedee!

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Isn’t it a c2w bike?

If you prefer suspension go for it, but be aware it’ll be low end and heavy on a £500 bike. Make sure it has a lock out for tarmac or you’ll be bouncing along like Zebedee!
Depends
If I go Evans cycles it’s C2W - how much you use it to C2W though is a different thing and not monitored

If I went Halfords I’d be buying it myself

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Wicked thanks for that

Only one ive seen that can be locked within my budget would be the Trek DS 2

Other option also is buying 2nd hand

Top Bottom