Complete noob looking for a hybrid(?) bike for daily commute, around 5 miles each way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaylorCycle541

Hi all,

I am a stranger to the world of bicycles, and I have come seeking your help and advice. This post may be long winded so bear with me.

I am a recent university graduate who during their final year rented a bicycle from them, which I believe was a Palomar GT. This bicycle was used every other day over roads, pavements, cobblestone, gravel, some grass, and a few hills and performed well. The only issues which stand out in my mind is that mudguards in wet weather are important, and the tyres seemed a little thin for dismounting pavements compared to say a mountain bikes tyres and I never felt fully confident in doing so, however this may be an imaginary non-issue.

Since graduating I have returned the bicycle and have arrived here seeking advice. I have no clue what to look for, what is good and what to avoid. My basic understanding is that hybrids are a good choice for general purpose cycling and that alloy brakes are more responsive than steel, however I am unsure how much this translates into a real-world scenario.

I am seeking a bicycle to cover the same terrain listed above at a reasonable price point. Other than internet companies there are two major retailers near me, Halfords, and Evans Cycles. I have identified an Apollo Belmont and Carrera Crossfire as possible candidates based on what I understand from the spec sheet, average review and price. However, most of the information, including the brands are unknown to me and I am unsure if the differences between them warrant the price.

I am hoping you guys could have a look and provide an argument for either, recommend something else or steer me in the right direction on what I should be looking out for with a first purchase. I'm happy to provide any further information if needed.

I appreciate any replies.

-TaylorCycle541

Hello, and welcome to the world of cycling! Also, full marks for deciding to carry on from where you were, so many don't.
If those are the two choices, the Crossfire, hands down. But check for mudguard mounts first if you want them. Then have them fitted as part of the purchase.
What about Evans? (Why didn't they ask Evans?). Probably a step up from Halfords.
Now, about riding down kerbs. If you do this properly, and with consideration for the bike, you can do it safely on the skinniest, low-spoke-count wheels with no danger. If you just pedal the bike over the edge, still sat down like the proverbial sack o'spuds, you can damage any wheels. Stand up on the pedals and let the bike move under you, and of course, you need to have space to join the road safely. Going up kerbs: unless you know how to bunny-hop, don't. Get off and mount the kerb on foot. Otherwise, snakebite punctures await...
Ensure you have, right from the off, spare tubes and a puncture repair kit. If at all possible, practise fixing punctures on an old tube. Lots of Youtube videos to watch on practically any cycling problem you can imagine.
But most of all - enjoy cycling!
PS: I'm not paying attention. Forget the crossfire. You do NOT want a suspension fork. For that alone, if restricted to Halfords, I'd choose the Apollo. However, get thee to Evans and check out their range, making sure it has mudguard mounts if you want them.
PPS: I should explain: suspension forks are a complete waste of time for general purpose riding. They just make the bike much heavier. They achieve zilch. Once, I accepted this as received wisdom. Now, I KNOW it's true...
PPPS: apologies for an even longer-winded answer! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Good advice above. Are there any local bike shops near you? Even if you don't buy from them, it would be worth it just to sit on a few and take their advice.

Getting the right size is important. With the tendancy for sloping top tubes, it's an easy mistake to get one that is too big.

Decathlon are another large retailer.

Good luck and welcome to the world of cycling.

OP
OP
T

TaylorCycle541

@DCBassman:
Thanks for the reply, no worries about being long-winded. Any information is good information at this stage. Both bikes can have mudguards mounted, the Apollo comes with a set, however if the Crossfire is the better bike I am not opposed to buying and then fitting myself. Could you explain a bit about the suspension? I believe the suspension fork "bounces" with the surface as opposed to staying firm on the other bicycle, the university bike hard a "hard/firm" suspension and I had no issues with it, I'm not sure why this would be so crucial? From the product specifications the weight for each is roughly the same.

@Sharky
Thank you. I will have a look around Decathlon. I believe there are a few bike shops in my area, I'll have a look around. I feel "safer" with a major retailer like Halfords in terms of quality and support, plus the shop is quite close to me.

@chris667
I'm located in Aberdeen. As above I feel safer with something new and from a retailer. I have no knowledge for bikes and if one were to fail the cost to either fix or replace is a factor. Also, bike theft is through the roof in this city. I have no idea how or why but every day there is a handful stolen on social media, even a few people who rented from the university had theirs stolen during the year.

Excellent advice from @DCBassman above.
I'd second @chris667 and others on the second hand options.

Security can be an issue so an older bike may be less attractive to thieves and less anxiety inducing for you.

Consider also the cost of components - chains and cassettes especially. It's often overlooked and on a bike that's used daily things wear out.

If you want to commute you'll need the bike to be in running order all the time. A second hand bike is psychologically easier (to me, at least) to "get into" and learn how it works. There's lots of assistance online (especially YouTube) to help aspiring mechanics. It's really not that scary, can save money and stress and can be incredibly satisfying.

Commuting to work became one of the better parts of my day. I'd arrive fresh and ready to go. Going home any residual stress was left along the roadside.

At 5 miles you have scope (if you're up to it) to investigate longer but more interesting routes. https://cycle.travel/ is your friend.

Good luck!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Is there a cycle charity project near you?

If so you may have a good choice of fully serviced used bikes ar a reasonable price. Chances are a used bike will be less likely to get stolen too.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This Pinnacle from Evans although ‘entry level’ spec looks like a good price at £319.
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/p...zRBOc-wz_wa7jyj8b8YpMHfiKTLQ#colcode=93917202
C0AF2190-31E2-48AF-BA83-A8CB4A50DDA0.jpeg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
personally I'd go for 2nd hand. There are usually some ok bikes around for 50-80£. Firstly because you won't worry as much about it getting wet, damaged, stolen if you're locking it up each day. Secondly, once you've had it for a few months you can then decide what extras you might need such as mudguards, pannier etc. You can always buy these for your bike or if you're really set on a new one then you'll know what you need. Thirdly, you might buy a hybrid but then decide you want something different, so best getting a cheaper used bike until you know what you really want.

As an example, years ago I bought a brand new MTB from Halfords on special offer at £289 (Carrera). Whilst I enjoyed it, I then wanted a more road focused machine so I bought skinny tyres, mudguards etc. And then I ended up gegtting a road bike. I was lucky to get £100 for my Carrera and it was only 18 months old

Another vote for second hand.

My first commute was about this length, I started doing it on a 2nd hand BSO (Bike Shaped Object) full suspension MTB that I think cost about £75 new originally. Once I'd done it a few times I got a new bike of the type I wanted.

@TaylorCycle541 - a quick search brings up this:

https://becycle.wordpress.com/library/

A free bicycle and free use of a workshop with people on hand that can show you how to fix your own bike. Sounds like a better bet than anything else you'll find.

Unless you are very lucky and find an excellent shop (there are still a few around) or an ordinary shop with excellent staff, you could find yourself waiting for parts if it needs a repair (because it will). It's so much better to become self-reliant. Bikes aren't hard to work on, especially with support!

It makes me want to move to Aberdeen!

Last edited:
For general transportation 2x5miles, a hybrid style is good and you get better options in lower-mid price range compared to practical road style bikes . Tyre clearance is usually at least 38mm tyres which is big enough for winter. You also need mudguards ( full length, bolt on) to stay clean and dry.
Suspension fork is not required, a rigid fork is preferable.
In wet conditions, disk brakes are preferred, they work the same in wet and dry. Consult us regarding disk brake location and luggage rack compatibility.
If you want to ride everyday it pays to buy a proper brand or respected shop brand. Avoid Apollo style low end stuff.
GT is fine in quality but their odd design places the rear luggage rack eyelets very low, making for a bendy rack mounting.

Budget for bike +
Mudguards
Rack
Lock
Lights
Repair kit ( basic for punctures)
Waterproofs
Helmet +gloves/mitts
As required.

It is easier to haggle for extra accessories rather than cash reduction.

Top Bottom