Complete novice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cunnini

hi,

I'm 46 years old male just taking up cycling after about five years of complete inactivity. Why? I need to get fitter and lose a bit of weight too.

I've bought a carrera crossfire II from halfords, and just done my first ride, about 5 miles return to the supermarket and filled the panniers with some groceries.

I'm back and legs are tired, and wondering what I need to do to improve. Suggestions?

I used to run a lot, and be quite fit, so was surprised legs are so bad. Are they different muscle groups or am I really that unfit?

Also, I live near Cambridge, which is quite flat, so how can I practice hills etc, when running I used to go up and down the same bits which was boring but doable but now on a bike I'm seeing this as impractical?

Thanks all,
Ian

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Cunnini and welcome to Cycle Chat.

You did well to do 5 miles. When I took up cycling again after a long break it was as much as I could do to manage a mile. But I kept at it, kept cycling. Over time it became easier as I became fitter and my muscles and body adjusted to the stresses of exercise and cycling.

So just keep it up, it's not a quick and easy process by any stretch. Take it a bit easy and don't over do it and over all, just enjoy cycling.
You will get fitter & you will lose weight.

Keep us all updated with your progress.

MiK1138

Veteran
Hi Cunni Can't really add anything to above. You've done 5 miles? Do another 5 another day then 6 then 8 ad infinitum. as long as you are enjoying it the fitness and weight loss will come.

Reactions: mjr
You will be using different muscle groups, when cycling, rather than running, and the muscles will be used differently as well. If you want a quick improvement, find a short route, with a few short sharp inclines, and put as much effort as you can into those. You should then find 'day to day' type rides, feel better, and you'll enjoy riding more.

Cycling muscles are different to walking or running so you will just get used to using them. Use the gears of your bike to provide easy pedalling resistance at a fairly quick revs or cadence, 60-80 rpm.
There is not much you can do to train for hills in Cambridge. Hills are different to headwinds, which you find plenty of.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well done for getting out there. Little and often to build up your stamina and muscles. Forget about hills until you get fitter. Good luck.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done !
People who restart cycling if they haven't ridden since they were a child/ teen tend to have the saddle to low which can also give youe legs a hammering .
Sit on your bike with the heel on pedal at the bottom your leg should be straight (A) , so when your pedaling normally you have a slight bend on your leg (B)

bike_fit1seatheight.jpg

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Hello there .. :bicycle:
at 47 a year and a half ago roughly I decided to take up cycling , I started mtb and now ride on road bike.I was same position you are in , I've dropped 5 stone and ride around 40-50 daily.I take a day off every now and then and work away for weeks on end so train what I can when away.
So yes just stick at it and don't worry if you take a day or two off to recover as muscles still need to recover/heal/rest.
I benefitted from correct fit on my bike YouTube offer plenty advice for free.
I am an addict , I talk sleep think cycling and no doubt bore my friends.
Thing I love about cycling is it has no age barrier , I was speaking to a guy yesterday on my ride who was 68.

OP
OP
C

Cunnini

I think I'm banging on about hills, as I used to run quite a bit, and running distances, I'd plateau a bit if I didn't mix it up with interval training and also hill sessions. I've assumed it would be the same cycling?

Next question: I'm confused on gears, if I'm in medium front cog and smallest back cog, what is the next setting I change to for more resistance, as big from to biggest back cog seems a lot of changes, is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think I'm banging on about hills, as I used to run quite a bit, and running distances, I'd plateau a bit if I didn't mix it up with interval training and also hill sessions. I've assumed it would be the same cycling?

Next question: I'm confused on gears, if I'm in medium front cog and smallest back cog, what is the next setting I change to for more resistance, as big from to biggest back cog seems a lot of changes, is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding gears, the key thing to understand is that whilst each front cog gives access to a "range" of gears at the back, there is invariably a big overlap between the ranges. Thus you typically won't get to the end of one range at the back before changing the front.

It's also considered undesirable to "cross-chain" by using (say) biggest front with biggest back nor small small. The chain has to bend more than ideal and rubs more. Not a disaster but not good either.

I'm confused on gears, if I'm in medium front cog and smallest back cog, what is the next setting I change to for more resistance, as big from to biggest back cog seems a lot of changes....
As profpointy says, consider that you’ll only use the extreme low, and extreme high less than the mid range gears.

I’ve always changed almost simultaneously, so, when I go higher on the front cog (to a bigger chainring), I also drop back a couple on the rear cassette, say 6 to 4 or 3.
When I drop off a high chainring, I go a couple harder on the cassette. It sounds complicated, but see how you get on.
You’ll find that the chain rides the centre cassette cogs more than the outer ones.
Well done for starting btw, my oh cried when she did her 1st mile, now she’s hooked, and looking at 30 mile rides as a challenge. Keep it, you’ll get there!

Top Bottom