Completely Unscientific

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
My usual morning commute is about 90 minutes long and normally after 45 minutes or so I get a little thirsty. Never bother taking a drink with me as I am not going that far.

Last night I was about to throw away another free sample of powder stuff for the water bottle, from Wiggle, but thought what the hell I will try it out the next morning.

This morning, arrived at work after 41.35km feeling excellent and very feisty, wishing I could just continue riding. I seemed to have lots of speed and strength, far more than I would normally expect on a Friday.
Sitting at my desk now feeling good and itching to get back on the bike already.
Only downside is I feel like I need to brush my teeth again.

Obviously it could all be just a coincidence, so maybe more experimentation is required.

On a side note, I did ride down a very scary descent, gradient between -14 and -18%, narrow single twisty lane, high hedgerows either side but it was in a residential area so lots of driveways which where basically invisible until upon them plus traffic calming measures where traffic downhill have to give way to traffic coming up the hill. Should be an excellent climb the other way^_^.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
90 minutes on a bike is a reasonable amount of time at 16-17 mph average, after an hour or so it is not unreasonable to feel thirsty and to gain some benefit from a drink of some kind.
It depends what was in the powder from Wiggle. I would suspect it was some kind of isotonic drink as this would have appreciable benefit as you probably have enough carbs in your system to do 40k.

Last Saturday I had a breakfast at 7am, drove for 3 hours and then rode 60 miles with nothing to eat to try and bonk. I used High 5 zero tablets, 1/2 tab in 500ml water bottle, 2 bottles. By 4pm I was still going no ill effects and drove home. The pace was not fast but it was hilly.

IMHO fatigue is more than just lack of carbs, the electrolytes have a significant impact when you get over an hour.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
90 minutes on a bike is a reasonable amount of time at 16-17 mph average, after an hour or so it is not unreasonable to feel thirsty and to gain some benefit from a drink of some kind.
It depends what was in the powder from Wiggle. I would suspect it was some kind of isotonic drink as this would have appreciable benefit as you probably have enough carbs in your system to do 40k.

Last Saturday I had a breakfast at 7am, drove for 3 hours and then rode 60 miles with nothing to eat to try and bonk. I used High 5 zero tablets, 1/2 tab in 500ml water bottle, 2 bottles. By 4pm I was still going no ill effects and drove home. The pace was not fast but it was hilly.

IMHO fatigue is more than just lack of carbs, the electrolytes have a significant impact when you get over an hour.
I "think" the powder was Hig5 Extreme. I received another freebie from Wiggle this morning, the same powder just different flavour. Ironically it came free with an order for a tube of Nuun Kona Kola tablets.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
extreme is the caffeine powder. i think we solved the reason to your mystery energy boost ;)

That explains why coca cola is popular with riders at the end of long rides. That sudden sugar and caffeine rush needed for the finish.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Are you not meant to take small sips of something every 20 mins or so? :wacko:
Depends on the distance, for an hour or so I don't bother, I have a drink when I'm finished. But longer rides I eat and drink at regular intervals as you recommend.

I came on to the electrolyte stuff in the Kielder marathon, I thought the electrolyte stuff was all hype, but finishing the last 8 miles in to rain and a head wind I took a cup of high 5 with 5 miles left to go and felt a lot better than drinking plain water which I had done at each 5k.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
extreme is the caffeine powder. i think we solved the reason to your mystery energy boost ;)

That stuff made me shake like a shitting dog! I had to sit down and think calming positive thoughts before getting back on the bike for a very juddery ride home!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Are you sure it wasn't Colombian Marching Powder?

-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee
Hah you know i almost asked the same thing lol..

i must admit my old habit of downing screech without water would indeed turn one of those high 5 powders into a recipe for disaster.
still remember the damned sugar rush you'd get from screech. the american drink powders were worse, basically sherbet!

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Are you not meant to take small sips of something every 20 mins or so? :wacko:
Not according to the experts on the BBC programme last night, they said drink when you are thirsty.
Also drinking too much is far more dangerous than drinking too little during exercise, in fact it can be fatal.

Gary E

Veteran
I got a free sample of the caffeine stuff a while back and liked it so much I've been buying it ever since, love the stuff and it works really well for me (never use it on rides of less than a couple of hours though).
One unexpected plus side - it also works as a cure for a hangover! Don't ask me why but I tried it a few days ago and I was feeling human again in no time :thumbsup:

Col5632

Guru
Not according to the experts on the BBC programme last night, they said drink when you are thirsty.
Also drinking too much is far more dangerous than drinking too little during exercise, in fact it can be fatal.

If anything i drink too little, usually no more than a water bottle in about 3 hours or above and been told i should really drink more :blink:

Gary E

Veteran
I agree, if I'm only going to be riding for an hour or so and it's not too hot out then I just take plain water (and generally don't use it). But once I get over the 2 hour point electrolyte really has a beneficial effect. The Caffeine stuff even more so :smile:
I don't profess to be any kind of nutritional expert but all I can say is it works for me :smile:

Top Bottom