1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely Untrue

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by GAVSTER, 18 May 2008.

1. GAVSTER

GAVSTER Well-Known Member

Apols if this is in the wrong section but pls indulge me ....

I was having a fettle with my Dawes Galaxy earlier today.

Back wheel appeared to be knocking on the brake pad and Gavster thought a little tinker with a spoke key would put it right. Sure enough one of the spokes was very slack and a few turns revealed that the wheel was revolving without knocking.

This was the first mistake - this lucky fettling meant that I thought I was a wheel trueing genius and decided I would check the rest of the wheel to see if I could find some other 'loose' spokes. Sure enough I found a few - tightening them up and turned a fairly true wheel into a 'KP Disco'

Is there anyway I can sort this myself or is it time to admit defeat and take it to LBS to get a pro to deal with it?

Also - might I have b*ggered the wheel?

2. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

GAVSTER, you won't have b*ggered the wheel however getting the wheel true again will take a fair amount of time and in all honesty you wont get it perfect without huge amounts of time spent on it.

In the past I've built wheels when I didn’t have the money to get it done, but I spend allot of time doing it.

I'd advise the easy safe route and take it to a shop. The only downside is they might say the rims worn and you might as well get that replaced and then the costs start to mount.

3. OP
    OP
    GAVSTER

GAVSTER Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

I thought that that might be the case.

I should have stopped when it was looking good - Doh !!

Anyway - I've got a couple of worn cables and the brakes need adjusting.

Time for a full service methinks.

*Note to self* spoke keys should not be used by idiots like me :wacko:

4. MERV

MERV New Member

Im sure I did something like this.:wacko: