Completely Untrue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GAVSTER

Apols if this is in the wrong section but pls indulge me ....

I was having a fettle with my Dawes Galaxy earlier today.

Back wheel appeared to be knocking on the brake pad and Gavster thought a little tinker with a spoke key would put it right. Sure enough one of the spokes was very slack and a few turns revealed that the wheel was revolving without knocking.

This was the first mistake - this lucky fettling meant that I thought I was a wheel trueing genius and decided I would check the rest of the wheel to see if I could find some other 'loose' spokes. Sure enough I found a few - tightening them up and turned a fairly true wheel into a 'KP Disco'

Is there anyway I can sort this myself or is it time to admit defeat and take it to LBS to get a pro to deal with it?

Also - might I have b*ggered the wheel?

cupoftea

GAVSTER, you won't have b*ggered the wheel however getting the wheel true again will take a fair amount of time and in all honesty you wont get it perfect without huge amounts of time spent on it.

In the past I've built wheels when I didn’t have the money to get it done, but I spend allot of time doing it.

I'd advise the easy safe route and take it to a shop. The only downside is they might say the rims worn and you might as well get that replaced and then the costs start to mount.

OP
OP
G

GAVSTER

Thanks for that.

I thought that that might be the case.

I should have stopped when it was looking good - Doh !!

Anyway - I've got a couple of worn cables and the brakes need adjusting.

Time for a full service methinks.

*Note to self* spoke keys should not be used by idiots like me :wacko:

Top Bottom