Component transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Hi all,

This is quite a big question but I was wondering how many of you had done a complete component transfer from one frame to another. I fancy making a second knock-about bike out of the components from my old bike (whose frame sadly cracked).

My old bike was this (minus the carbon forks; it just had standard ones)

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Gary Fisher&Model=Mendota&Type=bike

I'm looking to transfer the parts onto some old/cheap frame which is disc brake compatible.

I had a look round and found this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANKRUPT-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item588ea0737c

Are there any obvious reason why a transfer would be problematic? What are the tricky areas?

Cheers,

Funtboy

<<edit>> I can't get the Gary Fisher link to copy and paste properly. You'll have to copy and paste the whole think if you want to help, cheers...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Headset may or may not be compatible with the new frame.
Otherwise should be straighforward(ish)

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Cheers,

If I got a compatibe headset, would my handlebars fit okay do you think? I realise this is all very speculative but I just want to assess the problem areas.

Also, what out the bottom bracket? Are they generally pretty standard in size?

Cheers again...

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I once bought a new frame without headset and forks - never again.

It was a nightmare trying to identify the correct headset for the model and when I got it the headtube needed to be reamed for it to fit.

You may also need a new seatpost and clamp.

Better to pay a bit extra and get a frame with the whole lot fitted.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It can also be enormously satisfying and great fun identifying, sourcing, and fitting everything you need. Your mechanical skills will improve greatly too. There is now not a single job I wouldn't do myself when it comes to bike maintenance and repair.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
made the same mistake as well in buying a frame without getting forks and a headset to suit included , if i buy a frame set i now try and always insist that forks and headset included

PpPete

Legendary Member
Cheers,

If I got a compatibe headset, would my handlebars fit okay do you think? I realise this is all very speculative but I just want to assess the problem areas.

Also, what out the bottom bracket? Are they generally pretty standard in size?

Cheers again...

You will probably be OK swopping the BB over. Likely to be both English thread

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One or two bits may not go over as said above. So be prepared.

The front mech may also not fit depending whether it's a band on or braze on fitting, and also depending on the tube diameter.

+1 for all the other advice above.

It's a great thing to do. I've built a few bikes now and the feeling of knowing you built your own bike, (frame aside) is a great buzz :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom