Compost corner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bluebell72

Loving the 'heirloom plants' :biggrin:

I've a pond. A lot of bamboo, lavender and decking full of tomato plants - this is the first year I have tried those luscious Italian ones Costoluto Fiorentino. The plants are becoming triffid-like, but they need more sun!
tomatocostolutofiorentino.jpg

I had to delay rearranging a compost heap at the weekend as it was full of slowworms. I picked one up and was surprised at how warm it was.

pepecat

Mainly herbs - fennel, sage, thyme, mint, parsley, rosemary, hyssop, chives, lavendar. And a bunch of bedding plants in the veg plot cos I didn't get round to growing veg this year. Loads of apples on the apple tree too!!

Fiona N

Veteran
Russian kale - great as it seems to resist both predation by slugs and snails and the flies that live in the soil and lay their eggs on Swiss chard which causes the leaves to whither. Swiss chard has been decimated by rabbits so I've just sewn some rocket too. Green beans are growing apace now the sun's been out for several consecutive days. The spuds are flowering so a couple more weeks to wait there.

There are some flowers but mainly low maintenance perennials so I can concentrate on the veggies :biggrin:

Seigi

We've got quite a bit growing, 3 apple trees, a plum tree, some mint, thyme, lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes too. There used to be hedgehogs in the big tree/bush thing but we think they've gone now. We also used to have lots of tadpoles in the pond but they've either turned into frogs or died, we later discovered there was some small tadpoles at the other end of the pond, and they've turned into teeny weeny frogs (Will get picture), think they could get tree frogs (as we had tree frogs on a tree at one point last year.

26436319364784735433910.jpg

We got a couple and put them in a container and I took some up close pictures (Lens got a little wet
whistling.gif
), hopefully you can see the size comparison by the blades of grass in background.

Deb13b

It's almost a year since we moved here, my black elder is doing well that I brought from the last house. Also put in spiderwort and sneezewort, the clematis I bought isn't doing well tho, don't know why :sad: I've got young black hollyhocks growing, salvias off my mum, lavender and vervain. Some sunflowers that seem to have stopped growing. Lemon balm is doing great. I'm digging a wildlife pond. There's huge old roses that were already here, they're doing great, and some that I have no idea as to what they are. The poppy seeds I collected from the garden last year don't appear to be doing anything. Also got various herbs growing, a Rosemary bush and a small bay.

asterix

Comrade Member
3 large, rather decayed chestnut trees, half a dozen oaks of various sizes up to medium

Snakes: Western Whip snake,
SDC10649.jpg

Grass snakes and adders. The adders are multiplying. Loads of lizards, some green others less so. Newts that live in damp places, toads, a few frogs, slow worms. Different types of woodpecker, jays and ordinary browny, grey birds. Squirrels of the red variety and at least one hedgehog under the wood pile. Various insects, including stag beetles.

Top Bottom