Compulsory Secret Santa???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm quite a fan of Secret Santa in general. One of my groups of friends do it every year with a fiver limit.
I organise it for my children so they each choose a gift for just one sibling and my eldest daughter has taken to doing it with a group of her friends.
But today my 10 year old came home and said she has to do it as part of her class and her person is a boy called Owen. I am supposed to provide a gift for £2.50. I said no.
Too harsh??
I really don't see the point. We don't buy presents for the children's friends as a rule, unless they have a "best" friend. £2.50 is not going to buy anything worth having and I don't even know this child so wouldn't know what to buy him.
Plus I have enough to do without going out for an additional gift before the end of the week.
Would you join in or make a stance?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
well... do you want your daughter to be the only one in the class who didn't join in? and poor Owen with no prezzie :sad:

it's only a couple of quid so get a generic boys prezzie... cheap woolly hat, a pair of gloves, a scarf?

or a "Nut Allergy Detection Kit" ... aka, a bag of mixed nuts

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes, too harsh.
We used to have to make cakes for the cake sale at school, they sold for less than the ingredients to make them, we could have donated the cash, spared the time and they'd have made more money...
But that's not exactly the spirit is it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it would have been nice to be consulted or warned in good time (unless it's like the time I forgot to tell my Mum about the costume I needed for a play, until the night before...), but for £2,50, I think I'd just do it. Perhaps also then have a word with the school to say you're not happy with the idea in future.

green1

Über Member
Or a miniature bottle of whisk(e)y.
For the some of the 10 year olds around here the perfect gift would be a bottle of white lightning.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
We had a secret santa at work, and the person I'd been allocated to buy a present for was off at the time, and it turned out to be long term.

I left before they returned, so I never got my present :sad::rolleyes::laugh:

Top Bottom