Computer help ! M/soft word.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Can someone please help me with setting up a 'read only' document so it cannot be edited by anyone who opens it please ?

I've somehow "lost" half my bloody c.v. !! And I don't want to keep having to redo it if it happens again.

TIA

Elmer

In MS Word...

Tools > Protect document...

Select the read only option, set a password and even if Bob is your uncle, he won't be able to mess up your doc.

redfox

There is no foolproof way, passwords are easily bypassed. Print it to a PDF document if you can, cant be changed and will look identical on any computer. A word doc may look quite different on another computer than on yours.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Presume if you've lost it, you've typed it again..if not, can usually be recovered. With the pdf idea, try http://www.pdf24.org/ a free pdf creator. Web page looks a bit naff, but I've used it a fair bit and had no probs. Involves a download.

Jaded

Depending on which version of Word you have, there can be a lot left in the document that you don't want to be there.

From one of my customer's competitors documents I was able to glean the template title, the people that worked on it, some of the filing structure (which indicated how they put the quote together).

Word is bad.

PDF is much better.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Fnaar said:
Presume if you've lost it, you've typed it again..if not, can usually be recovered. With the pdf idea, try http://www.pdf24.org/ a free pdf creator. Web page looks a bit naff, but I've used it a fair bit and had no probs. Involves a download.

Yes Fnaar, out of a four page c.v. plus cover page I somehow managed to end up with only the cover and 1st page. You can imagine the anguish when I've had about 20 different jobs / contracts in the last 24 years (all the same industry).

I downloaded the programme from the above link but somehow couldn't seem to get that to work so I went back to the home page for help and then spotted the "instant converter" at the top of the page (D'oh). Brill mate. Thanks to everyone else who replied as well.

I did ('bout 5yrs ago) convert some Word docs to HTML but I'm buggered if I can remember how !!

Top Bottom