Computer operating slowly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have seen adverts for "Gotomycomputer.com". It appears to let me go to another computer and operate it from this computer. They are offering one month's free trial at present. Have you tried this service?

I would have to look very closely at the small print of the "free trial" bit, but it might save a lot of hassle fiddling with the computer. It is so much easier to fettle, as it were, without someone standing right by you. :laugh:
Or does this question need a new thread?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I have seen adverts for "Gotomycomputer.com". It appears to let me go to another computer and operate it from this computer. They are offering one month's free trial at present. Have you tried this service?

I would have to look very closely at the small print of the "free trial" bit, but it might save a lot of hassle fiddling with the computer. It is so much easier to fettle, as it were, without someone standing right by you. :biggrin:
Or does this question need a new thread?
Logmein.com gives you exactly the same, free, and with no time limit. Works really well too.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Swee'pea, Thank you for that link. It looks like I need to set that up from her computer. It may be worth considering (if she does not change her computer). :biggrin:

I have sent her a long e-mail explaining very simply what I could do to help speed up her computer.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Have just been round a client's and he gave me a tinnie and then clicked on Internet Explorer.Finished the tinnie and IE had just opened (5-6 mins).I noticed the dreaded Norton icon so uninstalled it pronto ( it took two tinnies to do this and then came up with a "finalising" phase which was worth another tinnie). Anyway,I was quite warming to our Norton friend by now but resolved to delete every last bit of it on the pc.It now opens IE in 5 secs which is slow but a hell of a lot better than it was.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i've often wondered why some hate Norton...and some love it.
Personally, i've run it for the last 10 years or so...and cant say ive never had problems, but rarely have.
IE opens as fast as i need it, i dont have to wait. Rarely ever ever had a virus (nothings foolproof mind)...never had conflicts, bootup doesnt take long etc etc.
I think its all in the setting up. One time i do remember i uninstalled and re-installed it...then i did have problems. But configure it correctly, it just runs in the background. Once running correctly...it continues to do so. I guess its getting it setup in the first place.

If it's only 3 years old it should be running fine.

Can't comment on the accessibility stuff as I've never used it. I have had huge problems with Norton before.

If I were you I'd try find out what is chewing up your CPU (slowness is usually CPU in my experience rather than memory, for low intensity things like it sounds this PC is being used for).

So when it's acting slow, press Control + Alt + Delete (all at once), and see if you can find out what's up. It should pop up with 'windows task manager', click on 'processes' and then if you click on 'cpu' or 'mem usage' it'll sort by the least/most chewing. If anything other than 'system idle process' is consistently eating more than say 5 CPU cycles that's probably your bug (and that means it's probably software related). Post back with the name of the 'culprit' if it looks like there is one. They're usually not named anything useful unfortunately.

Cleaning out your cookies (etc) as already posted can help; I use 'CCleaner' quite often - just beware that if you use CCleaner it could also remove her recently used document lists and that type of thing as well, which she might be in the habit of using.

Defrag is also a good idea. Especially if it hasn't had one in 3 years. If (bizarrely) it is running short on memory it might be using the hard drive instead.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom