Computer -rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I'm looking for a new bike computer, and as I'll be using a turbo trainer, want one that will work off the rear wheel. Will a wireless one have the range to reach with the sensor on the rear? I've only ever used wired ones on the front forks before so have no idea of the range of the wireless ones
Thanks hopefully

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
As another option, does anyone know of any wired ones which would have a long enough lead to allow the sensor on the rear wheel.

TIA

standard Cateye Strada Cadence would be my reccomendation - all sensors are rear wheel & crank mounted. Wiring it up is a five minute job. I've had one on my winter bike for about 18 months with no issues.

Zakalwe

I've even running a Strada Double wireless for a while now on my bad weather bike also without a single problem, if it's as up right there's no issue. Its a digital signal so there's no potential for crossover with other devices, you just need to spend a bit of time setting up the sensors within their range tolerances. Once on, you can pretty much forget about it.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yep its that one :smile:

The only thing i dont like is it clips upwards into the mount rather than downwards so it is possible to knock it out of the mount slightly more easily. Presumably as with any wired rear wheel computer getting the cable routing right is a bit tricky - taping it in place to get it right and making sure the pickups worked reliably before cable tying it made it easy enough though. The distance between chainstay and wheel can vary loads too, so could need padding out if youve got wide stays, but again I imagine thats true of any rear speed sensor.

As for features, it's fairly simple and has all the usual stuff plus the cadence which i really like and its by far the cheapest computer with cadence that i could find. Like many bike computers there's no backlight, which is kinda annoying this time of year for outdoor use. I only use mine for the speedo/cadence reading, everything else, trip distance/average speed etc I get from my Garmin or smartphone app etc. I have a feeling the average speed doesnt pause at stops and im not sure about average cadence, but I dont use either feature. I imagine it would be pretty good for turbo use (although ive never used one!), maybe not so much for outdoor use if you want decent stats/averages etc and something you can see in the dark.

Just to add, I mentioned it as you asked for a wired rear wheel sensor computer, I have very little idea what else is on the market ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cateye strada double, wireless cadence and speed from the rear wheel. 70 quid or so, worth it not to have wires wrapped all over your frame.

This ^ Had one myself for 3 years, recently upgraded to a Garmin 200 (well lost cadence). Very reliable in all weathers, and no messy wires.

Top Bottom