Computer Security Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hello All,

sorry to bother with this but I've had an email which makes me suspicious. My email is with googlemail and I've had an email supposedly from them which says the following (translated from another language):

These apps and websites which are not part of Google have the right to access your account (account name at googlemail). Do you want these rights to continue.

Check third party apps and websites

Amazon

Read, send, delete and administer emails, administer calender, administer contacts

I didn't follow the invitation to click to see what other websites supposedly have access to my email account as the above looks very suspicious to me (phishy?). Am I right to be suspicious or could this be a legit warning from googlemail?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

My first test is does it have my name? Phishing usually start with...

Dear user or Dear Customer

If all they have is your email address and no name etc it's very likely to be phishing. A genuine email would be personalised

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
My first test is does it have my name? Phishing usually start with...

Dear user or Dear Customer

If all they have is your email address and no name etc it's very likely to be phishing. A genuine email would be personalised
It starts off with "Dear Andy" but as that's part of my user name it would have been easy to arrive at.

What makes me suspicious is the claim that e.g. Amazon can operate my account. That seems a bit wild to me.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for all the replies. I'll do what Markymark says and log into Google.

It's real.

I got one too. If you don't want to click the link in the mail, then log into google and visit https://myaccount.google.com/permissions

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.10.42.png

Top Bottom