Computer Security - tech help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Ghost Donkey said:
I tend to use email for this kind of thing (encrypted 7-zip attachment).

I tend to use scp. Email was never really intended for large file attachments, which tend to be awkward anyway and have a tendency to clog up mail servers. Transferring files is a job for FTP.

Also, 7-zip is the work of Satan himself. :biggrin:

Carwash said:
I tend to use scp. Email was never really intended for large file attachments, which tend to be awkward anyway and have a tendency to clog up mail servers. Transferring files is a job for FTP.

Indeed. I only tend to deal with text based stuff mind. We don't use FTP servers at work but you can connect out to one.SCP is allowed though but very few none IT people are tech savvy enough to use it. I'm an IT person and I'm not tech savvy at all :biggrin:.

Batzman

beanzontoast said:
I have been told that deleting temp files doesn't actually remove them from the drive, it just removes the label that identifies them to the OS - or is this wrong? So the data is still there, even if it was only opened from/saved to the data stick and never actually saved to the hard drive?

This is true, but as soon as you save anything else or do pretty much anything, the files would likely be overwritten (as the space where the file was is marked as free, and gets reused.) - you also need a special program to recover the data, and even then it's a pretty hit and miss affair. in your case, this would only be temporary files, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Top Bottom