Computer with a light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...for night riding. I cant see how slow I am riding:biggrin:

I only have a cateye velo 5 and was thinking of getting a better one anyway. Which good ones have a light on them so i can read the display at night?

barq

I think the Cateye CD300 is backlit.

Alternatively try and find a Sigma Sport Computer Light - they bar mount and illuminate your existing computer. Not sure where to get them in the UK, but I'm sure you can track one down or order from abroad.

Rob S

Bigtallfatbloke said:

I only have a cateye velo 5 and was thinking of getting a better one anyway. Which good ones have a light on them so i can read the display at night?

Your best bet is to get a Sigma computer light and then whatever computer you want will be lit at night....only about £6.99 including battery.

Slim

Über Member
The Trelock range have a couple with backlights. Not sure if they're any good.

Just started another thread to see if anyone's tried them.

Noodley

You might want to think of wearing aheadtorch, which then doubles up as a very handy way of seeing if you have to stop for mechanicals in the dark. I have used the same Petzl headtorch for the past 2 years and only replaced the batteries twice. And I ride a lot in the dark, so as to not frighten the children :biggrin:

mikeitup

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:

I have a Cateye Micro Wireless w/ a backlight on it. Stays on for about 10 secs.
works fine. Am happy with it. £25 off ebay.

Membrane

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Which good ones have a light on them so i can read the display at night?

Both my Bikemate/Aldi computers (one wired, one wireless + HRM) have a backlight. Backlight is murder on the battery, I don't think you'll be able to find one where you can have the backlight on constantly. On my computers you have to press a button for 2 seconds, the backlight then comes on for a few seconds before it switches off again.

girofan

Yes, BTFB, the backlight on a computer drain the battery quicker than John Prescott can down a pint. If you do buy one either always carry a spare battery or alternatively, use sparingly.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I bought a blackburn delphi 5.0 and 6.0 for 2 bikes I have, both have backlights, but as I never seem to ride these particular bikes in the dark I've never used them in anger

gbb

Legendary Member
As an aternative with a difference...for you guys that love to play with something completely different.
Ex colleague of mine had a fibre optic cable running from his rear light to the computer.
Three advantages.
No battery drain.
Computers lit all the time the lights on.
You have an indication that your rear light is actually on.

Its quite easy to do and ony needs a few tyraps to fix it in place.

The downside..he drilled a hole in the light to point the F/optic cable at the LED (for maximum light) then sealed the hole with some clear silicone. Some would not want to do this....
A simple wire bracket was made to point the pointy end of the cable at the computer, f/o cable affixed to the bracket with tyraps.

Its possible to do it with the front light....maybe better that way.

It sounds a bit heath robinson, but he did a damn good job of it. Very effective.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
gbb said:
As an aternative with a difference...for you guys that love to play with something completely different.
Ex colleague of mine had a fibre optic cable running from his rear light to the computer.
Three advantages.
No battery drain.
Computers lit all the time the lights on.
You have an indication that your rear light is actually on.

Its quite easy to do and ony needs a few tyraps to fix it in place.

The downside..he drilled a hole in the light to point the F/optic cable at the LED (for maximum light) then sealed the hole with some clear silicone. Some would not want to do this....
A simple wire bracket was made to point the pointy end of the cable at the computer, f/o cable affixed to the bracket with tyraps.

Its possible to do it with the front light....maybe better that way.

It sounds a bit heath robinson, but he did a damn good job of it. Very effective.
I like that idea, Heath and Robinson are my middle names !!

Top Bottom