Computers - home networks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4223471, member: 9609"]I am wanting to be able to set up a network between my two computers so as I can copy files through the router.
seems to be so many options, Homegroups, Workgroups and Network, what is the best way to go about it. what is the best way to go about having only one access to only one folder on the other computer.

I have so far seemed to have gained access through network ?, but I can only copy or move files in one direction, if I try and move them the other way it just keeps saying I don't have permission.

Its starting to do my head in - everything seems to have a thousand settings, most of these settings are just gobbldeook -[/QUOTE]
Experts probably coming but I'd create a shared folder on each computer and give it read/write access with 'everyone' . Then put a shortcut on each to the other's shared folder.

If they're on different os's it can be flaky, in fact it can be flaky. A lot of routers allow you to attach a USB storage device which you can then connect to from any computer. Check if yours has this, it may be the simplest and most reliable way. Also means you don't need both computers on for simple file copying.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 4223560, member: 9609"]win10 and win7[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but there's only one thing to say:

Actually I think you'll probably need to give the version as well.

Seevio

Guru
Win 7 and onwards, the easiest way would be a homegroup. If you just want one folder shared, you can create a custom library and just share that.

Tim Hall

file_transfer.png

HTH.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It;s not what you want, but I just use Dropbox

Yeah I was going to say just use Google Drive 15GB storage for free, its how I get files from my PC/Laptop to my Tablet/Phone quick & free.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You literally enable file sharing, then on the folder you want to share, click on the properties and enable that folder to be shared. Means you don't share the root or other folders on the computer.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I find it amusing that with today's internet connection speeds, people still hesitate to send 25MB attachments with emails. I think it's one of the easiest ways to send a file to someone else.

Just don't send one to me or anyone else of the 800 people in our village :smile:

Our county better broadband programme currently has our exchange's area down as under consideration for fibre broadband between 2016 and 2019, subject to a 2mbps commitment, or to put it another way, we might get higher speeds in the next three years but there's no commitment to anything more than 2mbps. Iplayer just about works here provided no-one else does anything! With upload speeds of 0.4mbps, cloud services are a pita but they are proving difficult to disable in some software.

Our mistake is not to be a particularly well-off village a third of the size with influential inhabitants, in which case FTTC cabinets magically sprout all over the place. Not that I'm cynical about the process, of course.

I find it amusing that with today's internet connection speeds, people still hesitate to send 25MB attachments with emails. I think it's one of the easiest ways to send a file to someone else.

A lot of email services limit attachment sizes to 20mb. Imagine what spam would be like if they didn't. There are also historical reasons to to with software in the past. Million's of email spam each with 20+mb attachment s would bring networks down.

Top Bottom