Computers!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi have a musashi bent fitted a ALDI:s computer to bike sender unit on smalll front wheel nearest the rim of wheel, speedo reading is false as it reads 10 MPH When Iam actually doin 2MPH ??
1 am I MOUNTING sender unit correctly or should it be on the larger back wheel 20" front .. 26" rear wheel?
2 Should I go wireles? if so which should I buy?
Yes I am a numpty and probably got it all wrong! look forward to your replies.

markg0vbr

Über Member
have a look at the instructions sender on front wheel and put the right code in for size of tyre 20"is 1618

sunnyjim

have a look at the instructions sender on front wheel and put the right code in for size of tyre 20"is 1618

no wonder I'm so slow- I've got mine set at 1540..

Depends on your tyre profile as well as rim size. Check by rolling along ground (weigheted) to measure distance travelled/rev. 

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
There is a reference table out there on the web somewhere, but I couldn't make it match on BOB, so I did the following:

• Got it roughly right.
  • Reset the trip counter.
  • Ride a 60 miler with a GPS, GPS equipped friend, known track, etc.
  • Work out the percentage discrepancy between the two readings.
  • Adjust the computer wheel size by the same percentage.

For rides of 100 miles up, the two computers read about 10 yards difference. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Such is GPS.

I've never had a satisfactory wireless computer. They always drop information no matter how well adjusted. I now use Aldi's wired computers on all my bikes. Not the prettiest but by far the cheapest. Nice long cables suit 'bent applications. Oldest is now three years and working perfectly - all for three quid!

Cheers

John

Cheesehound

I use an old Garmin Forerunner 101 wristmount-type GPS. It's dead accurate, doesn't depend on wheel size, tyre pressure or dodgy sender units.

I prefer it to any bike computer I've owned. Mounted on a nifty Garmin handlebar adaptor.

You can pick them up for £30-40 on fleabay, which admittedly is a bit pricey compared to some bike computers, but I run quite a bit and so I can use it for both.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers.

Top Bottom