Comrade Cycle Co.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wivinos

Hello everyone, I´m writing you from Mendoza, Argentina.
Recently I bought a "Comrade" bicycle, near to my house, so I tryed to found some information about the brand and the bicycle, but I couldn´t. Its seems to be from Darlaston, England.
If someone has information, please let me know.
It has all the components, or most of them, "Made in England", the hubs are Phillips. The wheels are 28 1 1/2, really big!
Here in Argentina its easily to find a Raleigth or a Phillips, but this brand Comrade, its really rare to find.
Now I have to restore it. I will start in a couple of moths ;)
Well I hope you like the bike and I gratefully will recive all information you can give.
Regards!
Guillermo
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-14 at 9.51.10 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-14 at 9.51.09 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-14 at 9.51.09 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-14 at 9.51.09 PM.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
IIRC @PaulSecteur's Dad used to work for Comrade Cycles. He may have some info about the firm. Precious little out there on the internet.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
When I used to hear my dad speak of “working at comrade” I thought it was “comraid”.

I guess I thought that comrade was a little too Russian for the people of Darlo. He says there was also a make called clarion built there too.

OP
OP
Wivinos

Wivinos

Thank you a lot for your responses!
@PaulSecteur I want to know in wich year this bike has built, and also if the hubs are originals, as they are "Phillips" I want to know if Comrade just bought them to Phillips, or if someone in this years has changed them.
Do you know how to restore the dress cover?
Regards!

Karena

@Drago has a good memory!

My dad did work there on and off from age 16 to 19. He can remember the guy that used to do the pin stripes by hand, and the ladies that could build the wheels by throwing spokes at the hubs 8 at a time.

Do you have any specific questions?

My mom worked at the comrade in darlaston her name was Doreen brown and Arthur Whittaker who she later married worked there too.

Karena

Hi my mom used to work at the comrade in darlaston her name was Doreen and she was in the packing. Also Arthur used to work there around 1980s...maybe later 70s not sure

Top Bottom