concept2 rower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theborofc

just bought one and really in to it. initially hired it for a month before deciding to purchase it outright. Great for the upper body to compliment the lower part worked by the bike.

Would recommend. :wub:

Chrisz

Über Member
Lovely bits of kit. They are the only piece of cardio equipment I'd use in a gym and the only piece (other than a turbo) that I'd ever consider buying for home use.

How much?

Norm

We've gone for a Tunturi, had it about 3 years now and I was using it earlier this evening. I've always loved rowing and I dream of getting a boat. Until then, I do 200 laps of the spare bedroom when I don't get out on the bike. :biggrin:

mangaman

Lovely bits of kit. They are the only piece of cardio equipment I'd use in a gym and the only piece (other than a turbo) that I'd ever consider buying for home use.

How much?

I agree- a superb machine.

Also - how much?

Are they very expensive? - I think if I had one and a bike and some weights (which I've got at home) I could give up my gym membership, so it might be a saving in the long run.

I agree- a superb machine.

Also - how much?

Are they very expensive? - I think if I had one and a bike and some weights (which I've got at home) I could give up my gym membership, so it might be a saving in the long run.

I got into Concept 2 rowing a year ago, to get fit and lose weight. It has really worked for me. I've just completed 1 million metres within the year and have lost over 3 stone. Yes, they are expensive (over £1,000) but like a Mercedes, they keep their value well. Just look on eBay.
Once you get used to using one you will actually find that a lot of the exercise is actually in the legs, rather than the upper body. Not sure what the ratio is, but could be as high as 80:20. I don't know for sure, but when I have done a 45 minute session I can really feel it in my legs.
I did Lejog in June and I cannot stand using cycling machines in the gym, so most of my training was on the Concept2, with a long ride on Sundays. It certainly worked for me. I also found it fantastic for skiing. To be honest, looking back I was rubbish. My thighs were killing me after about 3 turns, but when I went this Feb, I found I could ski a whole red run without stopping.
There is also great online community and you can also log all the rows on line and work towards various challenges, this has really helped me stay motivated, cos it is certainly more boring than going for a nice cycle ride.

mangaman

I got into Concept 2 rowing a year ago, to get fit and lose weight. It has really worked for me. I've just completed 1 million metres within the year and have lost over 3 stone. Yes, they are expensive (over £1,000) but like a Mercedes, they keep their value well. Just look on eBay.
Once you get used to using one you will actually find that a lot of the exercise is actually in the legs, rather than the upper body. Not sure what the ratio is, but could be as high as 80:20. I don't know for sure, but when I have done a 45 minute session I can really feel it in my legs.
I did Lejog in June and I cannot stand using cycling machines in the gym, so most of my training was on the Concept2, with a long ride on Sundays. It certainly worked for me. I also found it fantastic for skiing. To be honest, looking back I was rubbish. My thighs were killing me after about 3 turns, but when I went this Feb, I found I could ski a whole red run without stopping.
There is also great online community and you can also log all the rows on line and work towards various challenges, this has really helped me stay motivated, cos it is certainly more boring than going for a nice cycle ride.

Mmm.. over£1000!

I agree with everthing you say. They are the ultimate all-round exercise machine.

I also enjoy the fact that, to really benefit, you have to know how to use them. There is an awful lot of technique in isolating the big muscle groups you want to exercise. That makes it more fun for me than endless running on a treadmill, for example.

If you lose focus on a Cocept2, you start to lose the benefits so it keeps your brain sharp as well as your body.

Mmm.. over £1000! I've just worked out that's 2.8 years of gym membership for me - so I might stick to the gym!

Eoin Rua

Actually let out a little chuckle when I saw this thread. Not sure if there's anyone else on here that rows but these machines are the bane of my existence! Throughout winter I'll use one of these every day, sometimes twice a day and they are killer machines, but give you one hell of a workout. Many of the workouts that we do will have us at the point of collapsing off the machine. After both 2k and 5k tests last year I literally couldn't function for about 15-20 mins, just sat beside a bin spewing :angry:

Once you get used to using one you will actually find that a lot of the exercise is actually in the legs, rather than the upper body. Not sure what the ratio is, but could be as high as 80:20.

Yeah, it's definitely more legs than arms, and 80:20 seems about right, considering you've got the right TECHNIQUE - some of the folk we see trying to use the ergs and you just think they're potentially doing themselves damage, thrashing around - it's all about maintaining a smooth, continuous stroke.

The logbook feature is really good - I keep a record of every single erg that I do, and I can rank that against other folk - currently in the top 10 of lightweight 19-29 in 2k, 5k and 30 mins :smile:

mangaman

Actually let out a little chuckle when I saw this thread. Not sure if there's anyone else on here that rows but these machines are the bane of my existence! Throughout winter I'll use one of these every day, sometimes twice a day and they are killer machines, but give you one hell of a workout. Many of the workouts that we do will have us at the point of collapsing off the machine. After both 2k and 5k tests last year I literally couldn't function for about 15-20 mins, just sat beside a bin spewing :angry:

Yeah, it's definitely more legs than arms, and 80:20 seems about right, considering you've got the right TECHNIQUE - some of the folk we see trying to use the ergs and you just think they're potentially doing themselves damage, thrashing around - it's all about maintaining a smooth, continuous stroke.

The logbook feature is really good - I keep a record of every single erg that I do, and I can rank that against other folk - currently in the top 10 of lightweight 19-29 in 2k, 5k and 30 mins :smile:

I agree - they're the torture/saviour of my fitness.

They really kick your ass - but I love their user-friendliness and simplicity.

I had a lot of training in using them but I cringe in the gym when I see most people using them. I'm sure they're getting no benefit at all :sad:

dhague

Mmm.. over £1000! I've just worked out that's 2.8 years of gym membership for me - so I might stick to the gym!

Not quite true - 2.8 years of Gym membership is a completely sunk cost, but a used Concept 2 can be sold for about 70% of its new value. If you buy a used Concept 2 from ebay, then it will only cost you about £100/year in depreciation.

I bought one a few years ago, along with a basic set of weights, and kitted out the box-room as a little exercise room. It's saved me a fortune in gym fees - and more importantly it's saved me a fortune in time because of not having to travel to the gym & back. I haven't missed the gym one bit.

I have to admit, I've not used the Concept 2 much since I started cycling though. I don't even have a turbo trainer - I spent last winter out on the bike most days, and it was some of the most enjoyable riding I've done.

I'm about to get a PowerTap, so I'll probably get a turbo soon as well - more for the purpose of highly-specific training sessions at certain wattages, and for power-based teesting under repeatable conditions. That will give me a really nice home gym setup. :smile:

Cheers,
Darren

jimboalee

I use one of these at the gym.

Before we lost the caravan which was swept down the River Avon when the floods happened, I had a Canadian canoe. It was a different action. Four paddles to the left and four paddles to the right from a bent leg seated position.

It is a twisting action rather than a back/forth rocking motion. I get strange looks at the gym when I plant my feet on the floor and start using the Concept2 in a Canadian canoe method.

Good for the obliques.

lpjr

Hello, I use a rower quite a lot. Great bit of kit for maintaining fitness. I owned a waterrower for 2 years and only sold it as part of a deal with the Mrs to buy a motor bike. I wish I never sold it. I use the concept 2 in the gym now which is good. But if I was buying again I would get another waterrower, a smoother action, quieter and nicer to look at. I think a bit cheaper as well with the natural wood model starting at 775 pounds.

Norm

I use mine fairly regularly, so I try to push myself to achieve certain goals within each 20 minute session. So, I try to maintain a certain stroke rate and "distance" every time the display updates (approx 10 seconds), every 2 minutes I'll have a fixed target, and I'll vary my stroke technique so I spend 2 minutes using just my arms, then 2 using just my legs etc.

I find the calorie counter, however inaccurate it might be, a pretty useful incentive as well. :thumbsup:

PK99

Legendary Member
I use one of these at the gym.

Before we lost the caravan which was swept down the River Avon when the floods happened, I had a Canadian canoe. It was a different action. Four paddles to the left and four paddles to the right from a bent leg seated position.

It is a twisting action rather than a back/forth rocking motion. I get strange looks at the gym when I plant my feet on the floor and start using the Concept2 in a Canadian canoe method.

Good for the obliques.

That might be good for you but is very bad for the machine! Twisting the chain is bad news

you want one of these:
http://www.paddlemachine.com/

Top Bottom