concept2 rower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hello, I use a rower quite a lot. Great bit of kit for maintaining fitness. I owned a waterrower for 2 years and only sold it as part of a deal with the Mrs to buy a motor bike. I wish I never sold it. I use the concept 2 in the gym now which is good. But if I was buying again I would get another waterrower, a smoother action, quieter and nicer to look at. I think a bit cheaper as well with the natural wood model starting at 775 pounds.

I use a concept 2 at the gym
Tried a waterrower once in hotel gym when I was travelling on business. Horrible thing, couldnt get a decent action on it at all.

Norm

Tried a waterrower once in hotel gym when I was travelling on business. Horrible thing, couldnt get a decent action on it at all.
Trying to say this without sounding snobbish, but that's often said of people who only use machines. The water-rowers action and feel (and sound, of course) is much closer to that of a boat.

515mm

I've often wondered how close the Concept2 was to a real scull. A great way to get a workout mind - SOOOOOOOO much less boring than the treadmill - how can anyone say it's dull? Trying to keep the perfect stroke whilst maintaining speed, heart rate and keeping the breathing under control. Far too much to concentrate on to be bored!

mangaman

Not quite true - 2.8 years of Gym membership is a completely sunk cost, but a used Concept 2 can be sold for about 70% of its new value. If you buy a used Concept 2 from ebay, then it will only cost you about £100/year in depreciation.

I bought one a few years ago, along with a basic set of weights, and kitted out the box-room as a little exercise room. It's saved me a fortune in gym fees - and more importantly it's saved me a fortune in time because of not having to travel to the gym & back. I haven't missed the gym one bit.

I have to admit, I've not used the Concept 2 much since I started cycling though. I don't even have a turbo trainer - I spent last winter out on the bike most days, and it was some of the most enjoyable riding I've done.

I'm about to get a PowerTap, so I'll probably get a turbo soon as well - more for the purpose of highly-specific training sessions at certain wattages, and for power-based teesting under repeatable conditions. That will give me a really nice home gym setup. :smile:

Cheers,
Darren

Good point!

Unfortunately I haven't got a spare room to put one in :sad:

lpjr

I use mine fairly regularly, so I try to push myself to achieve certain goals within each 20 minute session. So, I try to maintain a certain stroke rate and "distance" every time the display updates (approx 10 seconds), every 2 minutes I'll have a fixed target, and I'll vary my stroke technique so I spend 2 minutes using just my arms, then 2 using just my legs etc.

I find the calorie counter, however inaccurate it might be, a pretty useful incentive as well. :thumbsup:

Good to set targets on a rower as it can become boring. I imput a distance of 10000 meters and put the computer on the setting that measures decreasing distance, pace per 500m and overall time. I then row at 3 different paces. A recovery pace that should not drop below 2min 20sec for the first 5000m and not below 2min 30 sec for the second 5000. I do try to keep the recovery pace at 2min 10secs for as long as possible. So for each 1000 meters you follow this routine, 1000 to 700 recovery. 700 meter to 500 meters increase the pace to between 1min 50secs and 2mins, 500 meters to 200 meters recovery 200 meter to zero increase pace to between 1min 40secs and 1min 50secs, then you are back to recovery. 10000 meters = 10 sets of the above. Total time between 40mins and 45mins. At the end of it you do tend to fall of the rower. Note I started at 6000 meters and increased to this distance. As an exercise to help increase base fitness it is great.

Fiona N

Veteran
Well this is all very well folks but how do you keep motivated? I find rowing machines a tad boring and seem the most under-used item of equipment in the gym. (ducks for cover :wub: )

Absolutely no problem for competitive folks and well-run gyms: they have a C-II league or ladder. My gym in Switzerland used to run several different ladders where you place yourself according to your fastest time (checked, obviously, by a member of staff) over 2000m (vets, ladies and juniors) or 3000m (men in 3 age cats). It was great fun especially if two or more people actually had a real time race - which usually produced best times all round.

I used to go to the gym 3 times a week so, on two of those occasions, I'd just do training runs, then let it be known I when I was going to be around to try get a new PB so that someone else could race me - it didn't have to be someone in the same ladder and I often ended up racing a male vet who was a pretty fit guy and so we could always have a really good race over 2000m. Who was it said (?Eoin Rua) about throwing up at the end - never quite got to that state but there were several occasions when neither of us could stand up off the seat for quite a while.

PK99

Legendary Member
 never quite got to that state but there were several occasions when neither of us could stand up off the seat for quite a while.

Saw a documentary on steve redgrage years ago, in full olympic training. He literally fell off utterly exhausted at the end of his ergo piece.

PK99

Legendary Member
Trying to say this without sounding snobbish, but that's often said of people who only use machines. The water-rowers action and feel (and sound, of course) is much closer to that of a boat.

I agree. I used to row and have a water rower, as you say "feel" is much closer to a boat. But i prefer the concept 2 at the gym as a fitness tool!

PS anyone interested in buying a water rower. I'm in SW london

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I agree. I used to row and have a water rower, as you say "feel" is much closer to a boat. But i prefer the concept 2 at the gym as a fitness tool!

PS anyone interested in buying a water rower. I'm in SW london

which model, which wood, how old, and how much?

Eoin Rua

Did a rowing triathlon on Saturday there - 2k erg, 20k on the bike and a 5k run. Took the erg pretty easy, like 35 secs off flat out but even still legs were a bit jelly-ish getting onto the bike.

Was just a small informal event organised by a few rowers, 15 people took part, but they're looking to increase it in size from now on. Finished 5th overall, my run really let me down, still good fun though!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
in my younger days (bloody old now) I got the T-shirt also did a half marathon challenge 2090m did it in 1:45:05

Attachments

• t-shirt.jpg
    t-shirt.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom