Concerned and Anxious.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Ride done. Did I have reason to be concerned? Yes, but not wholly for reasons above.

Two days before I went for a quick 30+ km ride. On posh bike, aka 'Nig. All my rides over the previous months have been on commuter/winter bike, aka Dozza. I'm finding Dozza uncomfortable these days, while 'Nig was lovely cumfy. This was good.

Temperatures were really low - for over 6 hours between 0° and 2°. With plenty of unscheduled stops (fairy visits) we got chilled quickly and not enough time to ride steadily to keep warm. The chill also created tension across the shoulders no matter how much I tried to relax. This was both physically and mentally draining - not good.

I always feel energised once the sun is up on these rides. This was no different. Due to the punctures, the back of the ride became a second small group, forever chasing the main group ahead. I was 'promoted' to be one of 3 virtual TECs. With stops almost eliminated, we kept a good, steady pace and at times I started pushing myself, thinking at the back of my mind, I would be able to bail, if necessary. But I had forgotten how much the cold consumed energy.

I did not reach the goal I had set myself, the top of the largest hill on the ride and bailed a few km short. I was more exhausted and uncomfortable with shoulder ache rather than hip pain. My friend seemed to be enjoying her initial FNR, despite the poor conditions, and later told me how wonderful breakfast was at Bognor beach.

Although disappointed I did not reach the end, on reflection I was satisfied with my effort. I now will look at suggestions above to Dozza and hope my hip will be replaced soon - another thread.

Thanks again for suggestions above.

Top Bottom