Concerned and Anxious.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely.
I am looking forward to a group night ride in 2 weeks of only 115 km. Sadly, I have not completed this distance since july last year and not completed a ride of over 50 km since the end of october. Therefore, my lack of fitness concerns me and I am anxious I may not be able to finish the ride. A major contributing factor to my recent low mileage is I need a new hip. Although riding my bike is supposed to be 'good', in the sense it does no harm to the arthritic hip, it is not without some discomfort. Drugs help.
My right leg is now approx 1cm shorter than the other. Might lowering the saddle ease any discomfort?
Any advice or ideas?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much riding are you doing is the next question ? How often.

How often is the key ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A few points to make.

Rather than fitness, is the pain going to be a bigger issue during a ride of this length?

Just two weeks before the big ride is a bit late to be making any significant changes that you won't have the opportunity to endurance test prior to the event? (Don't be like a friend of mine who after a year of training for our LeJoG trip on one bike then decided to swap bikes from a road bike to a hybrid a week before we set off and then suffered such terrible discomfort that I had to swap his saddle for a spare one of mine at a home stop-over. This was at around the halfway mark and I then carried his old saddle for the next day in case he had to swap back, but thankfully my set-up was better and he managed to continue and complete the ride, which was looking doubtful before the swap). What I'm trying to say is, you should know what works by now so don't fiddle out of desperation and risk making things worse.

What are the abort options on the night? If you do get to the stage where you can't ride any further are there any bailing points that leave you able to beat a retreat on your own while the other riders continue their night guilt and worry free?

Finally, maybe you know you shouldn't do this ride? It's always hard to give up on something like this but the reality might be that you actually have no choice and your concerns are genuine and reasonable. Faced with your medical problem, your loss of fitness and the scale and time of the ride it may be irresponsible to go ahead. No one would think less of you for cancelling given your circumstances.

Jameshow

Veteran
Definitely.
I am looking forward to a group night ride in 2 weeks of only 115 km. Sadly, I have not completed this distance since july last year and not completed a ride of over 50 km since the end of october. Therefore, my lack of fitness concerns me and I am anxious I may not be able to finish the ride. A major contributing factor to my recent low mileage is I need a new hip. Although riding my bike is supposed to be 'good', in the sense it does no harm to the arthritic hip, it is not without some discomfort. Drugs help.
My right leg is now approx 1cm shorter than the other. Might lowering the saddle ease any discomfort?
Any advice or ideas?

Would a 165mm crank on the shorter leg and a 170mm crank on the shorter leg help?

Just thinking aloud?

I would take ibuprofen during the ride to ease any pain.

Sharky

Guru
Don't worry about trying to do 115km in one go before the ride. If you can do the distance, spread over a week on say 2 or 3 rides, you will be fine on the night.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Shadow With regard to your overall fitness only you can make the judgement. In my view if one has regularly ridden 50km the jump to 115km isn't something to worry about.

I have one leg longer than the other by 0.75cm which wasn't diagnosed till my early 60s. Throughout my later life this had given me considerable discomfort especially when walking any distance. I was treated under the NHS and this did improve things but not solve the issue.

In 2019 I made a new friend who is a cyclist and podiatrist. One day she said "You know you pronate?" To which I replied "Yes, when I walk " She then told me I did so on the bike and offered to fix this for me. I now always wear a 0.5cm heel raiser and good quality inserts as I have very flat feet. The exception is when cycling I only use a heel raiser as the supports within cycling shoes are adequate, unlike street shoes.

The result was astonishing as almost overnight all discomfort disappeared and I haven't felt a twinge for three years or more.

The real surprise though was bike position. I immediately discovered my position was a compromise to allow for the difference in leg length. I raised the saddle and pushed the seat back and found a new, stronger and more comfortable position. When tired I have always had a tendency to pull to the right, the longer leg, this has now disappeared and I hold a much steadier, upright line.

The point is this. If you adjust the saddle height or make other bike changes it will be a compromise and might bring in to play some or all the issues I solved with a heel raiser. You will also be changing your overall bike position which could result in discomfort. Making any change to the bike, cranks for example as mentioned above, is almost certain to create new issues.

I feel you should address the leg length and not the bike position. Find a quality heel raiser and if possible take advice from a podiatrist.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Probably a daft question, but how can a heel raiser help when it’s the ball of your foot on the pedal?

Nope, not daft and something I hadn't considered. I will ask. I'm going to throw out a guess though. I pedal with my feet flat, I've observed some pedal with the foot angled forward. Would pedalling with a flat foot, the heel and ball being level, mean for me it does have an impact?

The treatment has been hugely effective so clearly worked for me.

Last edited:
Definitely.
Any advice or ideas?

It's a real pity that you are feeling this way. Something recreational shouldn't be inspiring adjectives like "concerned" and "anxious".

I find it interesting, though, that you describe the distance as "only" 115 km. For a distance that you have little recent preparation for "only" is bound to inspire some internal conflict.

I cannot advise on any of the technical issues except to say that there is not a lot of time to effectively test out different setups. "Raising" the effective pedal height on the shorter leg theoretically seems helpful.

My starting point would be to examine the source of the anxiety. What exactly is the problem with not being able to finish the ride? Is it logistics? Is there a pace you think may be difficult to maintain?
Or is it personal?
Perhaps the former can be solved with a bit of contingency planning?
The latter is harder to tackle.
Who are you riding with? Do you know them well? Have you explained your situation to them? There may be others in similar positions, you know.

Riding with a group can be inspiring if we can feed off the positive energy of the group. However, being "dropped" can be the reverse if we're depending on that group. One possible solution is to look at it as less of a group ride and more of a personal one. A "I'll get there when I get there" approach.

I think you should chat with the group and get it out in the open and I think you should give yourself (and your old hip) a break and not think of it as "only" 115km. It's a challenge.

Best of luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Probably a daft question, but how can a heel raiser help when it’s the ball of your foot on the pedal?

My guess about riding with a flat foot is correct. I've always understood, rightly or wrongly, that keeping the foot flat is the best pedalling action.

This is my friend's explanation. "Even though it's forefoot contact the raise in the shoe will naturally tilt the pelvis forward because the whole foot is in the shoe. In particular because the forefoot is slightly lower than the heel one will be making contact with the raise even in the cycling shoe and will balance the LLD (leg length deficiency). Even pedalling in a cycling shoe we all make heel contact with the shoe."

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Thanks for all the replies, it is appreciated.

How much riding are you doing is the next question ?
How often is the key ?
Not enough! About 2 or 3 a week. (although it was 0 in january!). For about 90-120 minutes. One of those may be on the turbo. If so, about 35-45 minutes.

Rather than fitness, is the pain going to be a bigger issue during a ride of this length?
Possibly. Until I've ridden 60km I won't know! OTOH, after about an hour the pain subsides. Looking positively, being in a group I could be distracted by chatter and not notice the pain.

Just two weeks before the big ride is a bit late to be making any significant changes that you won't have the opportunity to endurance test prior to the event?
True. Sensible advice.

What are the abort options on the night?
Am investigating. Maybe none until about 3/4 way.

Finally, maybe you know you shouldn't do this ride?
How perspicacious of you Skol. And maybe why I am wavering in my head. Apart from this being a fave ride of mine, I also want to do this to introduce a friend to the Fridays and she would benefit from chatting with Ride Leader about a big summer ride she signed up for. She has made it clear, re-iterating your last sentence, she will not feel let down by cancelling.

Would a 165mm crank on the shorter leg and a 170mm crank on the shorter leg help?
I would take ibuprofen during the ride to ease any pain.
As someone sensibly suggested, now is not the time to make changes, if I make the ride. Something to consider after the ride, thanks.
I have better drugs than ibuprofen, which will be used !

Don't worry about trying to do 115km in one go before the ride. If you can do the distance, spread over a week on say 2 or 3 rides, you will be fine on the night.
I was not planning in doing this. Thanks for the advice.

The point is this. If you adjust the saddle height or make other bike changes it will be a compromise and might bring in to play some or all the issues I solved with a heel raiser. You will also be changing your overall bike position which could result in discomfort.
I feel you should address the leg length and not the bike position. Find a quality heel raiser and if possible take advice from a podiatrist.
Thanks. I will not make saddle height changes before the ride. Will look into leg length and heel raisers after.

If you wear cleats, you could shim one cleat to suit, using longer bolts if needed.
Simple idea, I like it and will look into, thanks.

My starting point would be to examine the source of the anxiety. What exactly is the problem with not being able to finish the ride? Is it logistics? Is there a pace you think may be difficult to maintain?
Or is it personal?
Perhaps the former can be solved with a bit of contingency planning?
The latter is harder to tackle.
Who are you riding with? Do you know them well? Have you explained your situation to them? There may be others in similar positions, you know.

Riding with a group can be inspiring if we can feed off the positive energy of the group. However, being "dropped" can be the reverse if we're depending on that group. One possible solution is to look at it as less of a group ride and more of a personal one. A "I'll get there when I get there" approach.

I think you should chat with the group and get it out in the open and I think you should give yourself (and your old hip) a break and not think of it as "only" 115km. It's a challenge.

Best of luck.
Glad you found this Hobbes and took time to post. I can always rely on you to look at things from a slightly different angle, this is good.

Logistics is one potential difficulty. If I have to bail, there are limited opportunities before about 85-90 km. Am making enquiries. Pace will not be a problem; even unfit I can keep up with the backmarkers!
Personal, yes it could be. I will have a chat with myself to try to discover the root cause. Yes, I know the group and the majority of the experienced riders. No, I have not discussed it with them - logistically this is impossible. But I will chat with Ride Leader and one or two others, it they are there.

Riding with this group is inspiring, it is something I thoroughly enjoy a number of times during the year, which is why I would prefer not to miss it. It is good for my mental well being. I agree about being 'dropped', yet this will not happen here - I would happily bail before any dropping occurs.

Thanks for your insight.

On a happier note, I had a good session on the turbo late afternoon with little discomfort during the session (thank you Robi Draco Rosa!) and equally important, since then. The real test will be this weekend when I hope to go outside for a happy couple of hours - weather permitting!

Well, I'm detecting a more positive vibe from your most recent post.
I think you're being smart by not looking to change anything drastic quickly and also to be contemplating the idea of not doing the ride without being too self critical.

If you're not worried about the pace, if you can count on the drugs and if the group is as inspirational as you describe ....... it's looking better. A lot better.

There's still time to set yourself a few goals to help in making up your mind.

I also want to do this to introduce a friend to the Fridays and she would benefit from chatting with Ride Leader
Worst case scenario..... can you drive/get a lift and do the introductions?
If I was in your friend's shoes I'd hate the thought that I might be responsible for you pushing yourself too hard. If you had to bail (not trying to be negative) I'd feel really bad.
So maybe an idea to have a chat there, too.

I can always rely on you to look at things from a slightly different angle,
^_^ I'm not sure how to take that! :laugh:

Best of luck!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hi @Shadow, sorry to hear of the hip concerns.

You speak so fondly of past rides, I think you should prepare to do this one; but make a final decision nearer the day.
Base that decision on:
a) weather forecast, especially if inclement conditions aggravate/exacerbate the arthritis
b) comfort levels; all you do here is some trial riding in the coming days and extrapolate from that.

Discomfort on the bike can perhaps be managed by the gentle Fridays pace, the frequent rest stops (dismounting if that helps), bon camaraderie, cake, breakfast, and the sheer joy of riding that gorgeous bike.
If that's not enough, reach for the medication?

Edited for typo(s).

I hope it works out.
Am not registered for it myself, as there's a clash with my son's birthday. Well sort of. Might open negotiations tomorrow.
AM very unfit myself - only done about 100 miles in total in the last 5 months. But on a gentle FRiday ride I think I'd worry more about saddle discomfort than lack of fitness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

I'm not sure how to take that!
Take it any way you like....yet I did say it was a good thing in my previous post.

Best of luck
There are a few things I would take before luck but I will gladly take a small dose of that too!

I think you should prepare to do this one; but make a final decision nearer the day
With all your help, this is a conclusion I have reached too.

AM very unfit myself - only done about 100 miles in total in the last 5 months
So you know exactly how I feel. I have decided this ride has come a month too early but hope to persevere.
It would be good to see you again, later in the year perhaps, while we ride gently together 3 metres in front of the TECS!

Top Bottom