Condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I recently bought a new cycle computer off Ebay. Cheap and cheeful which may tell us something. I used it yesterday for the first time in very bright sunshine, and very soon the inside of the screen misted up. Once home the misting went away. Today I took the battery cover and battery out and left the computer in the sun with the open battery compartment upwards facing what has been today a very hot sun. I am hoping this will dry out any moisture in the unit. I can't win lately, it's one thing after another.

I recently bought a new cycle computer off Ebay. Cheap and cheeful which may tell us something. I used it yesterday for the first time in very bright sunshine, and very soon the inside of the screen misted up. Once home the misting went away. Today I took the battery cover and battery out and left the computer in the sun with the open battery compartment upwards facing what has been today a very hot sun. I am hoping this will dry out any moisture in the unit. I can't win lately, it's one thing after another.

If there was a chill in the air and the unit had been in a fairly controlled enviroment (packaging and your house) some condensation inside might happen. Throw it in a bag of dry rice if it continues, that'll act like silica gel.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Interestingly enough, I had the same issue with my Garmin Edge 705 GPS computer after I bought it over 4.5 years ago. For some reason, the problem stopped after the first year (or two, maybe?), and I haven't seen it since. So it's not just the el-cheapo units that have this problem.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I have been out this morning and no sign of condensation in the unit. Perhaps yesterdays treatment was the way to go!

Globalti

Legendary Member
They are probably assembled in a sweltering factory in China and the high humidity gets trapped inside. I'm not joking.

Jdratcliffe

It was one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120980944132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
I am actually quite pleased with it at £5:99 posted. It is wireless and does everything my Cateye on my hybrid does. It will be interesting to see how robust it is with use.

does it show current speed or avg speed with a clock? i'm looking for a simple device to have a clock or with either of the speeds ( or both) for my commutes ( so i can push harder or relax if i have time) and also to keep an eye on the avg speed for upcoming ride 100 as i have told people im aiming for 5hours or less.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
does it show current speed or avg speed with a clock? i'm looking for a simple device to have a clock or with either of the speeds ( or both) for my commutes ( so i can push harder or relax if i have time) and also to keep an eye on the avg speed for upcoming ride 100 as i have told people im aiming for 5hours or less.

I'm not 100% sure of what you mean. It shows current speed along with your chosen function. You can have it showing current speed and trip distance, current speed and average speed or you can have it showing current speed and trip timer. As you will see it always shows current speed along with your chosen function. It also has a symbol that tells you if you are behind or ahead of your average speed. It is also auto start/stop so your average speed will show only cycling time if you stop. I believe you can switch off the auto function but I haven't looked for it yet as I prefer riding time. If you would like to see the instructions for it which should answer your questions they are here in a PDF format. http://www.sunding.com/en/tbc258_upfile/20114181612078962.pdf Mine came with only Chinese instructions so I was glad to find the English version!

Hope this helps.

Venod

Eh up
I have had the condensation on watches & phones, I put them in the cupboard with the hot water cylinder for the night to dry out,

Top Bottom