Condor Fratello and 32mm Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSter

I've just tried to fit 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to my 11 year old Condor Fratello. After the inevitable wrestle with the tyres themselves, I find that the rear tyre fouls on the mudguard boss which sits behind the bottom bracket. Has anyone managed to make this work? If so, what could I be screwing up!

vickster

Legendary Member
You may just not have the clearance on an older bike (I have the same issue with 3 of mine), try 28s? (and all 32s are not the same). What are you changing from?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
marathons plus are really quite a thick tyre due to the nuclear proofing of them so I'm not surprised. Their external diameter will be larger than a regular road tyre.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have also been surprised when I fitted a Marathon + (at 680km into an end-to-end when useless 'Giant PR2' tyre started a sidewall bulge after 6pm with an hour still to ride).
It fitted fine width wise and I I assumed the interference I could hear as I rode the last bit was with my mudguard.
Cut away bottom 6" of the mudguard and all clear. Rolled out (a few yards) at 7am only to find it was still rubbing: my weight made the difference. The M+ was 4mm 'higher' than it was wide and was rubbing under the seatstay bridge. Removed rest of mudguard, and was OK rest of way (to Orkneys). Sold said tyre with 970km on it: looked 'as new' (sold to friend).
Think you'll either have to swap out for a 28 M+ (on rear not ideal) or for another make/model.

Top Bottom