Confession time - I nearly hit a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Agree with the majority. Be seen be safeR. I despise the sanctimonious crap that many of the so called cycling advocates spout that we can do as we please and it is everyone elses responsibility for our safety. At best its half right, it is our responsibility equally if not more so because we or our bereaved are the ones that bear the consequences most heavily.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Both sides could have done better, doing the legal minimum when cycling on the roads is silly especially with outdated laws, but I think a lot of people tend to look at laws in general as behaviour guidelines rather than extreme limits.

I wouldn't look at it too negatively, noone got hurt and he got about as much a push as he'd get towards making himself more visable. You're thinking about it and hopefully he is too :smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't know who was to blame (I wasn't there) but credit to you for stopping and apologising. Incidentally, my father-in-law, who is a keen cyclist of many decades, once knocked another cyclist off in his car.

He felt so bad he gave the fella a lift home and pretty much offered him a blank cheque for repairs!

Got em on the Christmas list!
I should jolly well think so too ^_^

My bib shorts are black and the jacket I was wearing today is mainly black, so if a car pulled out of a junction and hit me it would have been my fault? Doesnt matter that a car driver has not looked properly? The onus is now on the bike rider rather than the car driver?

OP
OP
simon the viking
My bib shorts are black and the jacket I was wearing today is mainly black, so if a car pulled out of a junction and hit me it would have been my fault? Doesnt matter that a car driver has not looked properly? The onus is now on the bike rider rather than the car driver?
I agree with your point of view and I do feel I was mostly to blame, the only reason I feel the cyclist must accept some responsibility is because it was not entirely light (it was 8.00 am) and he had woefully inadequate lighting that wasn't even switched on.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt tell you that I have reflective spokes and ride with my (super bright) lights on even in the day time, but I dont think the onus should be on the cyclist to be wearing day glo clothing, it just gives the car drivers a get out of jail free card.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dont get me wrong, I didnt tell you that I have reflective spokes and ride with my (super bright) lights on even in the day time, but I dont think the onus should be on the cyclist to be wearing day glo clothing, it just gives the car drivers a get out of jail free card.

My reflective spokes look lovely but I'm under no illusion that they're pretty much useless in rush hour on Deansgate or riding up Oldham Road with junctions and ignored give way lines every 50 yards and when people are facing my front or rear end, when arguably I need to be the most high profile I can be as there's so much else going on to take peoples attention away.

they already have that: door someone under a bus, left turn over them in an ASL....

A fair point but is it any more right to place the entire onus of you being spotted and potentially staying alive onto someone else as well as giving some old buffer in a silly robe and wig yet more reason to say, sad and all that but off you go johnny driver, try and be more careful in future?

There are plenty of portable belts and slaps etc, methods of making yourself more visible; at a level higher than the chassis of the cars around you; on bike and still capable of doing the all black hipster look off it. Surely better than deliberately abdicating any notion of helping yourself in a situation that we all know is not built with bikes in mind, selfishly used and fraught with erstwhile good drivers liable to a moments distraction, dangerous infrastructure, incompetents and just plain knobheads who don't care or restrict 83% of their external vision and still get Judicial protection.

It gives thoughtless cyclists and those in the *all cars are evil *alalalalalalala* brigade a stick to beat otherwise responsible road users with and does absolutely nothing to dispel the negative mythology about cyclists that abets the sort of sentences we see handed down

The onus for road safety should be on everyone its another one that isn't your job/my job.

Top Bottom