Confession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I maybe committing heresy here but in all honesty I have to say that I am / was / am more of a walker than cyclist, having walked all the Lakeland / Northumberland fells at least once and completed a fair few challenge walks, including some LDWA 100's. Three years ago when I thought that there was no chance of getting EVR and I was stuck at work till 65 (was over 60 anyhow). I bought a Dawe's Khara- Kum and rode from L E to J O G. I did get EVR and decided to walk from JOG to LE last year. Unfortunately despite over a 1000 miles of training walks I developed Achilles Heel trouble and had to pull up after 400 miles. I have to complete the JOGLE for my own peace of mind but walking it is out of the question, it is just too expensive in time and money. So the Khara- Kum has been brought out and I have used it this year to ride between Home and Leeds (there was a special offer on the Carlisle – Settle line last month) The wife and I walked this route 17 years ago and it was as wonderful riding it as it was walking it but the trains were not good for bikes and the canal path from Bingley to Skipton is definitely not for road bikes and those inverted V barriers are horrible for cyclists and people with prams. I have now started on the Hadrians Cycle Trail. The trains are more cycle friendly and the first bit of the route from Ravenglass to Workington is great, apart from some glass near Workington, which I suspect caused my slow puncture. Khara – Kum is now in for an earlier than expected service, tyre change and to maybe change the handlebars to Butterfly's and the pedals to accommodate straps. I will be back to challenge walking again I would like to put in a 100 before I reach 66 but I have to admit long days on the saddle are very tempting so it will be a balancing act in more ways than one because I would hate to have to choose between walking or cycling.;)

col

Legendary Member
Hi Cush,iv done a little walking,but not anywhere near your distances you have,but i can understand the enjoyment,i hope your heal isnt a reacurring thing and sorts out,and if im doing that sort of mileage when i get to that age,ill be a very happy person:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Cush, many people on here have more than one hobby so if you're a biker and something, never mind. To do the LEJOG is one achievement that many have not done so consider yourself a cyclist fair and square!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

domtyler

Über Member
Definitely nothing to be ashamed of Cush, quite the opposite i'd say mate. Well done and keep it all up.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Cush - you are absolved;) Most of us have more than one thing we're passionate about, and why not? I'm mad on skiing, and certainly not averse to walking either. Our summer trip this year will be cycling round the Bodensee, then walking in the Vosges. Both different, both great.:biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Cush (any connection with that delightful lady Butterfield?). You are an inspiration. I know what a gruelling ride/walk the JOGLE is as I embarked on same on vintage motorcycle a few years ago. I can still feel the aches and pains now. I wish you the best of luck and every success.

Welcome Cush. I used to do a fair bit of hill walking and a bit of climbing/scrambling until about 7/8 years ago when I had a fall which resulted in damage to my right knee and ankle. Part of my rehablitation was cycling and now I'm well and truely hooked - 3 bikes in my garage and a new 'best' bike coming in the next 2/3 weeks:biggrin: I still do the occasional hill walk but I find I suffer for next few days:sad:

yoyo

TheDoctor has a lovely summer planned- the Bodensee has a great cycle route and the Vosges are stunning. Will be at the latter ourselves this summer doing sme walking, driving and, hopefully, cycling but my other half is not convinced that cycling is for him. Have a good hol.

Top Bottom