Confused about bike types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 409474
Nice, is it on 26" or 700c wheels, this is my Ridgeback Hybrid (700c wheels) rebuilt to 'Fast Flat Bar' spec and used for touring (as well as commuting, shopping etc.)

@raleighnut

Still running 26" but toying with 700s as there is just enough clearance

Those adventure frames are ideal, likely to be quite a bit lighter than my mountain frame but mine is very stable

I think it's a 1994 model and still running original front wheel, chainset and rear mech.

I reckon it will outlast me quite comfortably

I had a bit of correspondence with @Blue Hills who said that yours may be one of your favourites

They are great bikes, capable of being most things required of a utility bike

I just need to improve the rear brakes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut

Still running 26" but toying with 700s as there is just enough clearance

Those adventure frames are ideal, likely to be quite a bit lighter than my mountain frame but mine is very stable

I think it's a 1994 model and still running original front wheel, chainset and rear mech.

I reckon it will outlast me quite comfortably

I had a bit of correspondence with @Blue Hills who said that yours may be one of your favourites

They are great bikes, capable of being most things required of a utility bike

I just need to improve the rear brakes
I changed mine to V-brakes from the original Canti's but that's not so easy with drops although possible.

Yep it is one of my favourites but it is also my most versatile bike, fast and comfortable but pretty tough too with a Tange CrMo frame and handbuilt wheels (the rear is a 36 spoke laced in a 4 cross pattern with plain guage spokes on the drive side and 'double butted' on the NDS)

Hi,

I now find myself changing to "I think" touring bikes. I want one for shortish, but multi day trips, with rack, mudguards, paniers etc for a tent and the like, plus ok for trips to the shops for a bit of shopping now and then - approx a 6 mile round trip.

Seems touring bikes (flat bars for me) fit the description - was thinking hybrid, but seemings not, as touring bikes have mudguards, racks (or fittings for such).
J

A big plus 1 from me on an old MTB, or reusing your existing one.
For racks, most, if not all will have mounts for a rear rack. Then there are racks that attach to the front via the Quick Release skewer. But clamps can be improvised too.

For mudguards - I use plastic mudguards on my converted MTB. They're probably not as good as the tighter fitting aluminium ones, but they do the job and I have no issues in selecting tyre size.

Panniers, I can carry up to 4 and a rackbag depending on what I am doing.

An MTB gives you such flexibility in terms of tyres for all surfaces.

Bombproof, strong, stable as said above.

Plus an older MTB is less attractive to thieves than a fancy tourer - especially if popping down to the shops.

Bear in mind, that once you dip your toe in touring, the experience you're looking for can change over time.
Today it might be all about road tours and getting as far away as possible. Tomorrow, it might be more canal paths etc, slower and a tad more difficult. Next week it might be more rugged, off-road, get away from it all! The MTB can do it all! (Or else get yourself a new bike every time! :-) )

You can also tour on a hybrid. I've done a few on a no-brand cheapy aluminium, with front suspension, the longest being about 6000km.
When it started to die, I had made up my mind that I wanted steel, 26in wheels and my research led me to an old MTB.

Good luck & enjoy your quest!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
raleigh-tourer-and-pole_edited-1.jpg

Trekking bars may be an option. I made this old Raleigh city bike into a tourer, it does a great job.

Back in 1990s, everyone ( except beardy cycle tourist club riders and their menfolk) toured on MTBs with bolt on rack. It was well known that 26" wheels were better.
Now that 700c wheels are better, MTBers ride touring wheels AKA 29".
In practice, you can tour on any wheel size. Bolt on racks are by far better than hack mounting systems. Few suspension forks are practical for touring but if you have them use them. The best flat bar alternative to drops are butterfly/ trecking style. No tourist complains that their gearing is too low.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mines an old Cr-Mo onefrom the 90's, but I think I should name it "Danger Wheels".
I converted it from a hybrid flat bar to the drop bar.

Bodhbh

Guru
One thing I'm struggling with is seeing suitable options for mudguards for 26" mtb size wheels & Tyres that will be useful

Really?! Unless 26" has become totally unfashionable SKS should so some. Chromoplastic guards up to 60mm (so for 2.4" tyres or whatever). I've got a pair which has been going ten years.

The 27.5" thing has killed some of the variety of tyres available in 26" but surely there's various Marathon variants which are suitable?

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Really?! Unless 26" has become totally unfashionable SKS should so some. Chromoplastic guards up to 60mm (so for 2.4" tyres or whatever). I've got a pair which has been going ten years.

The 27.5" thing has killed some of the variety of tyres available in 26" but surely there's various Marathon variants which are suitable?

thank you
J

One thing I'm struggling with is seeing suitable options for mudguards for 26" mtb size wheels & Tyres that will be useful
A little confused. Is it mudguards you're looking for, or mudguards & tyres?

Assuming both, so yeah, SKS type mudguards will work. I've got nice long plastic mudguards on my MTB convert, with no attachment points on the axles. Do they stop everything? No. But enough that I'm comfortable. Cheap, robust and long-lasting.

As for tyres.... there lots of choice. I use Schwalbe exclusively, but have tried 1.5 to 2.0 Marathon Plus and now testing Mondial.
Since the tyres are my suspension, I've found I prefer the wider tyres. But I've also used the original 2.5 MTB tyres on a couple of short trips.

One thing I've read about is people having issues fitting wider tyres under narrower mudguards. So keep that in mind when making your choices.

Top Bottom