Confused about shorts and saddles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
There are a lot of different "chamois" on the block and they aren't all created equal. Like saddles, it's different strokes for different folks. Traditional leather chamois are still available and I have a couple of friends who would never go back to the modern version. I still have a pair of wool shorts the cupboard -- w/ real chamois -- but the leather has gone a bit stiff. Maybe if I applied some Proofide ....

yes i will admit to riding commando. not sure that no padding would work but i suppose it is worth a go. i have also seen specific cycle underwear and wondered about giving them a try but i know that this contradicts the no knickers rule. i am not sure if the pads are at fault or maybe the seems. my newest pruchase are the altura gel shorts so no seems around the padding on the inside of the shorts bit there are seems on the outside

I have just got back from a 13 day cycle tour and had similar issues - I knew I had an issue with the saddle and had been to a bike shop and got everything setup correctly and changed the stem on my mountain bike etc. On the tour by the end of the 3rd day, I had sores in places I really wish I did not know about.

I had purchased some new bib shorts before we left (to replace some ancient shorts where the elastic has perished) that had foam/gel inserts (and zips at the back to make nature calls easier for women) but still found that my winter bib-longs (different make, but with gel inserts) were more comfortable until I went commando - it was better, but still sore. Which leaves the hygine question of wearing the same thing day in day out without the ability to change.

For me the issue is simply that I do not have enough natural padding between my sit bones and the saddle. I have tried various saddles, been measured to confirm that the saddle is the right size etc, but still get this issue. What I have found is that the ladies seats that have the hole in the middle for ladies private really are better for me and not wearing underware assists considerably, but I have get to actually completely resolve the issue. I also now have an expensive saddle that is not being used!

vorsprung

Veteran
Interesting. I dug out a pair of shorts the other day with a thickish pad. The shorts were a pair of CCUK which I had been issued as cycling kit from work. It was a hot day, and not only did the pad feel hot, it also acted as a sponge.

I have had the same kind of experience recently see my blog entry "Caught Short"

Using barrier cream is a good idea

As for the OPs point that "hard saddle, padded shorts=good, padded saddle, unpadded shorts=bad" I would guess it is to do with the abrasion that can potentially be caused by loose material ( the shorts ) between the two surfaces of the padded seat and the backside

Top Bottom